Tweet tweet!!! Welcome home little birdies! Spring is knocking on our front door and it’s time to welcome back our neighborhood feathered friends!
This months Lowe’s Creative challenge was to create a bird house out of unsuspecting items from Lowe’s! Can you guess what this little abode is made of?
Molding details make the perfect frame for this easy to build bird house! When theses molding pieces were put together they created the ideal home shape! You will need the following supplies from Lowe’s:
-Two 6″ molding halves
-One 6×6″ Cedar Hatteras castine (this tops off a stair rail)
- 4′ of rope
-One 1/4″ dowel
- Wood Glue
- Wood Fill
- Sand Paper
- Craft sticks
Let’s get started…
2. Used a 1″ drill bit to make your hole.
3. Mmeasure and drill a 1/4″ hole for your perch.
4. Hold your two pieces of molding together and drill a hole in the top where your rope will be inserted into. This step takes another pair of hands so grab a friend.
5. Now that your holes are all drilled you can glue the two molding pieces together!
6. Use a heavy object to hold the two pieces together as they dry over night.
7. Time to fill the cracks! Grab some wood fill and fill the seams.
8. After the wood fill has dried it’s time to sand off the excess fill.
Now it’s time to paint!
Hand paint the roof and walls and perch stand. Inserted the perch stand and used a little glue to secure it. String the rope threw the top hole and tied a large knot at the end.
With the house fully assembled it’s time to glue it onto the painted cedar hatteras. Painted the hatteras and turned it upside down making it the perfect base for the house.
Now it’s time for some detail work! I hand painted a shingled roof using a tooth pick! This step took me an hour (YIKES!) but I think it added such a charming look!
Broken and painted craft sticks make a perfect picket fence!I used wood glue to adhere them onto the house!
And there you have it! A charming and simple home for your chirping friends! And YES!!! That is my view from my front door! Pretty amazing huh!
Lowe’s has some fun and impressive bird house ideas in this months Creative Ideas Magazine! Have you signed up for your free subscription yet? If not jump on it!