Seems like we’re always on the hunt for great storage solutions around the house. When it comes to helping kids stay organized and motivated to keep their space neat the classic toy box might just be the perfect solution!
This toy box called my name when I saw it at the thrift store but the stars and moon cut out were not its best feature! But for $12 I knew I could work some much needed magic on it and turn it into a real storage solution that looked great too!
What a difference some paint and wall paper can make! Enter LOWE’S! With just a few supplies and a little time this toy box became a new piece of furniture I’m proud of.
I gathered a few items from Lowe’s to help with this makeover! My newest favorite craft product has to be the Allen and Roth Paintable wallpaper (under $20 for 11 yard roll!) This stuff is amazing! It’s like embossed paper that would look beautiful on a wall and it was perfect for this toy box. More projects with this wonder stuff to come! I also grabbed Krylon spray paint and new hardware!
2. I measured each recessed panel and used my cutting board and rotary cutter to cut the wall paper panels for each side.
3. I used 3M spray adhesive as my glue. I sprayed a layer of glue on each panel and waited about 20 second before I added the paper. That gave it time to get extra tacky.
4. I added a wallpaper panel and pressed it down evenly. I used a wet cloth to scrub off any of the excess glue.
5. For the back of the toy box I measured out my panel and cut a piece of wall paper slightly taller then I needed. Once it was glued on I used an X-Acto knife to trim off the top. It was a smooth flush cut.
6. Once my wall paper panels were dry it was time to move the toy box outside to get ready to paint!
7. I did a few coats of spray paint and let it dry over night before I moved it back in!
Much improved right? I replaced the missing hardware inside and now have a darling toy box for my little girl’s room. The painted wall paper adds such a fun texture and so much charm! Now I have tons of leftover wall paper that will be put to great use for other projects! Man I love that stuff!
Don’t forget about the FREE Lowe’s Creative Ideas magazine! For more fun and inspiring project ideas using great Lowe’s products…