I for one can appreciate an easy to read tutorial! I love a good clean minimal look that makes following directions simply and fast! Over the last few years of blogging I have learned a few ways to help make tutorials reader friendly! Today I’d like to talk about Collages and how to create them in Picnik, a FREE online site, to help declutter your posts and make them reader friendly!
You may notice that I use a lot of 4 grid collages in my posts! I bet you thought you needed to be skilled in Photoshop to create these grids but the reality is you DON’T!
By using grid collages you can put 4 images in the same space as 1 to make your posts shorter and more appealing to the eye!
Fist things first… log onto to Picnik and get to the main page and click the “Get started now” button!
1. Upload a photo from your computer. When the photo appears as a thumbnail click and drag it to the quadrant in the collage. Do this 4 times until you have filled the 4 quadrant collage. You can move a photo from one quadrant to another by clicking the photo and dragging it to a different quadrant. If you added a photo you no longer want to use just upload a new photo and crag it on top of the photo you want to replace.
2. Choose your back ground color. I always use white becasue I think that looks best.
3. Use the rounding tool if you’d like to round the edges of your photos.
4. Click the done button.
Adding a drop shadow frame
1. Click open the “Frame” tab.
2. Click the “Drop Shadow” button
3. Click the “Transarant Background” box.
4. You can make adjustments in that drop down menu and then click “apply.”
1. Now it’s time to number each photo so you can do a numbered description in the tutorial.To add text click the “Text” button!
2. Pick your font.
3. Add your text in this box.
4. Click and drag your text to the exact place you’d like it to appear.
4. This box is where you will change the color of the text, size and appearance.
Resizing your photo
1. Click the “Basic Edits” tab
2. Click the “resize” tab and adjust the numbers according to what size you’d like to make the image. For consistence I always make my collage for my tutorials the same size: 450 x 450. Yours might vary based on the width of your blog.
3. Click the “Apply” button
4. Lastly click the “Save and Share” tab.
To save the new image
1. Rename the image.
2.Click “Save Photo” button
Now you have a new image you can insert into your post! Under your new collage you can now describe the step by step process to create your project!
This really makes following a tutorial easy and helps make your blog look nice! Hope it helps!