Who’s getting excited for Halloween already?? I AM!!! Halloween is my all time favorite holiday so I couldn’t help myself…I HAD to get a jump on my Halloween projects!
The first project of the year is my “Halloween Door Hang!” This little ditty was born out of my love of working with paper bags! Remember my “Spring Bunting!” That was the project that kicked it all of so this season wasn’t about to not get the royal “Bag” treatment!
This technique is also perfect for making darling Trick or Treat bags for the kids this year as well! So the next time you are shopping and they ask “Paper or Plastic?” be sure to go for good old PAPER!!!
1. Grab your paper shopping bag! It’s time to get started! If you are making a wall hanging you can use either side because you will be covering up the store logo. If you are making a Trick or treat bag cover up the store logo side!
2. Use Distress ink to the edges to add dimension. The texture of the paper bag looks awesome when you highlight it with the ink!
3. Cut long 2″ wide strips of large netting. Use a hot glue gun to make ruffled netting along every inner edge of the bag.
4. Continue the ruffling all the way around the bag.
6. Use Distress ink on the papers edges and then sew them together using a zig zag stitch!
7. To make the moon, cut a circle! I LOVE my Martha Stewart Circle cutter!
8. Distress ink the moon and zig zag sew the moon in place!
10. Cut 6 wing sections and some small pieces of black felt for wing seperation.
11. Glue three wing sections together with glue at the very tip of the wings. Using hot glue, add a little dab of glue and shove in your small piece of felt between each wing section. This will help the wings look 3 dimensional and have movement and space.
12. Create a small bat by doing the same as above but smaller. Cut two round circles with ears for the bat bodies and glue on your wings!
14. Hot Glue on your two bats. I glued the wings and the body to make it extra secure.
15. Add fun lettering to create a Halloween saying.
16. Add a bow and hand on the door!
Be sure to be aware of the weather! If rain is in store, bring this little mama inside! You can also hang this on any indoor hook for indoor holiday decor!
More fun Halloween door looks to come!