Trying something new: Rise and shine!

Thank you to P&G’s Have You Tried This Yet? program and Kroger for sponsoring my writing about trying new things and breaking out of my everyday routine. Click here to find great savings on high-performing P&G products at a Kroger store near you. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.
So let me set the stage…. I’m a HORRIBLE sleeper! Awful at it actually! I’m the kind that will lay down at 11 pm and toss and turn for 3 to 4 hours before I dose off! I can’t seem to turn my mind off! I’ll make a mental “to do” list, organize my thoughts, plan my week and worry about all my responsibilities. I’ve always been this way! I’ve always struggles with falling asleep when I needed and waking up with hours of rest under my belt! Instead I’ve been surviving on 3-4 hours of interrupted sleep only to wake up and struggle through my day. Then, after a long sluggish day when you think I’d be ready to crash, I hit the pillow and stress out all over again about the things I didn’t get done, the amount of time I spent on line and the fact that I should have spent more time doing meaningful activities with my kids!
It was an awful daily cycle that exhausted me! That was until I tried something new!
4 weeks ago I made a drastic change to my daily routine! I knew something had to change and even when I first attempted this crazy plan I wasn’t sure it would work! In fact I was convinced it might in fact add to my chaos! So what did I do? What did I change?
I started getting up at 5:30 am!
Crazy right?! Why on earth would someone who can’t typically fall asleep till 3 a.m. get up so freakin early?
Well I tell you what! As crazy as it sounded I knew I had to give it a try! You see…most of the thoughts that keep me awake each night all revolve around my job, blogging! I struggle with the  time commitment it requires and how it keeps me from my family at times! It’s a struggle that results in guilt and regret. I thought that if I got up 2 hours before the rest of the family got up I could get two hours of work done GUILT FREE! Two hours of quiet time that I could dedicate to answering emails, scheduling posts, checking in on twitter and facebook and organizing my weekly work responsibilities!
Of course day 1 was a drag! I dreaded the alarm clock but I’ll tell you what…when 7 am rolled around and I had successfully made a huge dent in my work I felt great! It put a new pep in my step and I was on such a high my morning went better then ever! I had a happy attitude when I greeted my kids instead of my normal grumpy self! I was ready to tackle my household chores like folding the laundry, making beds and mopping the floor, all things I put off till 5:30 p.m.! I was a new person.
I honestly tried this new early morning start to try to get my work done before the kids woke up but one of the greatest side effects was something I totally didn’t expect!
By 10 p.m. I am soooooooooo ready for bed! I kiss my man goodnight and I am OUT! Totally out! I sleep like a rock and wake up before my alarm clock goes off the next morning! It’s the greatest feeling on earth! Stress free sleep! True honest to goodness sleep! Talk about hitting the jackpot!
4 weeks later I’m on top of my game! I feel in control of my work schedule and more rested then I have ever felt in my life! No more morning naps! No more dragging through the day. No more guilt! And all becasue I tried something new!

Comments

Tara Hope says:

I have the EXACT same problem sleeping! And it's been really bad lately, so I am going to try your solution! :) Thanks for the tip!
    I also wanted to tell you one thing that has helped me a little. You might already do this, but I keep a notebook and pen beside my bed specifically for writing down the things that pop into my mind that I need to remember the next morning. When I can't turn my mind off it helps to just jot it down so I know I won't forget in the morning, without having to actually get up and take care of it. Thanks again!

It works! I have been struggling through my days with my 13 month old. I started setting my alarm for 6:30 a few weeks ago so I could shower and get ready, eat breakfast and browse my favorite web sites (like yours!) all before he wakes up. It makes me so much more productive. I can use his naptime for projects instead of showers and I can be more attentive to him while he's awake. Plus, I don't look like HELL if the neighbors drop by before noon!

Although he goes to sleep at 8:30 9 and I can barely keep my eyes open until 10!

I'm so trying that starting tomorrow morning!! I am horrible at waking up early because I'm such a night owl, but I'm alway open to anything that will make my life easier!!!

Stephanie says:

Way to go Becca! I soo need to do this! My kids are staying up to late…..then I can't get up in the morning. Thanks for the motivation.

Rhiannon says:

yay for you!!! i have the same problem! Im always tired and can never feel like i have enough time! and I HAVE to get up at 5:30 maybe I should stop napping in the car on the way to work and on the way home!

Suzanna says:

Thanks for writing about this, I'm going to try it!!

Beth- the mama bee says:

I get up at 4:30 and love it. sorta. I hate it at 4:30 am, but love it later in the day. I work out , shower, and then get almost an hour of work done before the I have to get the kids up.

I am a terrible sleeper. I am going to try this. I keep thinking it's my pillow. I've tried a few different ones. Tomorrow I'm getting up and getting things done. Hello workout, shower, and laundry. Thanks for blogging about this problem!

Betenson's says:

What a great post! I have been trying on and off for months to talk myself into getting up earlier. I hate that my kids wake me up every morning and it makes for a negative run around crazy kinda morning! I have always thought that if I could just get up, exercise, blog and be ready for the day before they even get up, it might just change my day for the better. So THANKS for the encouragement, I am gonna DO IT, starting tomorrow!

I did the 5:30 wake up for a little over a week and I felt WONDERFUL!! Then I got sick and since then haven't gotten back on track. Now that I'm better I've been sleeping horrible and not waking until 8am almost!!! I have three to get ready for 9am school, so this is NOT working! I am taking your post as a sign to get my bootie in gear! Thanks for the motivation!!!

The WholeFamDamily says:

what's the saying, early to bed early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise?? something like that! lol i do the exact same thing, except i fall asleep ok, but then i wake up a few hours later and toss and turn cuz my mind is thinking all these things and finally fall back asleep right before the kids wake up. BLAH!!
    and i feel that way about blogging too! obviously i don't have a smidgen of your responsiblities or things to sort though and do with your blogging but i feel the same way about it interfering with my family!
    perhaps i will try your new method so i can do as much as i can and WANT to without being interrupted or feeling guilty about my time spent.
    good suggestion!!

Marianne says:

I do the same thing though I get up at 5AM. It just makes my day go so much smoother. By 9PM I am ready for bed. It's been a life changer for me.

The Girl Creative says:

I really REALLY need to do this but i find that when I get up earlier……SO DO MY KIDS! lol But maybe one day I can start doing this because I know that it would make a huge difference. :)

Olivia @ Swan White Curtain says:

That's awesome! I have seriously been considering doing something like this but I have a horrible habit of napping during the day. I think I'd wake up, walk the dog, do some chores, and then nap! (I don't have a job with a regular schedule.) Hm…

Mormishmom @ Funky PolkaDot Giraffe says:

It's so true! During "boutique" season last Fall I was staying up SO late and then not being able to fall asleep once I did drag myself to bed. I made a NY resolution to go to bed and get up earlier and get things done BEFORE everyone else is up and going. I fell off the wagon the last couple of weeks, but I'm ready to recommit and feel happier and healthier.

And I have to had WOOHOO! I won! I emailed ya:)

You almost have me convinced. Maybe I will start with 6 when my hubby gets up. Sounds like a good plan.

Michelle says:

I should seriously try this, you sound exactly like me! Thanks so much for sharing!

Life In The Thrifty Lane says:

I should totally do that too!! Thanks for sharing with us!

The Vann Family says:

just found your website yesterday–what an inspiring idea! i have been thinking about waking up early for a few weeks (ok..months) now and this is what i needed to get motivated! thanks! i'll let you know how it goes when i wake up at 5am tomorrow morning ;)

Crafty Girls says:

How funny I just read this post…you see, this morning, I did this exact thing! I don't do my blog as a "job", but it is time consuming just the same. Love the quiet in the morning, especially because the sun is now coming up earlier – so awesome. You have a great blog, keep up the great work!

Irene