Peeking through my windows! Decorating with vintage Windows

(before)
If you peeked into my front windows you see my red piano! It’s hard to miss! It’s big and red and stairs you smack dab in your face! I LOVE my red piano (even though I can’t play it very well) but I always struggle with how to decorate above it! I’m in the “switch-a-roo” stage of home decorating! This time of year I get cabin fever and need to change things for sanity sake… I rotate my decor as often as I can to keep me from having to buy new decor. On occassion I will add something new and when I found these two vintage windows while consignment shopping one weekend I knew they would make great foundation pieces in decorating.
The smaller single paned window is from Abode ($15) and the larger one from Now and Again ($29).
Resting items is a great way to avoid endless holes in the wall. If you are like me you like to change things often enough to not want to a nail in teh wall dictate what you can put there! These frames look great layered and resting on my wall. Now that i hada a great starting point it was time to shop my house ans start accenting this area.
I started by trying out a ceramic vase with tall greens and my blue tiny cabinet. I wanted to try out different heights and colors. I have a blue table across from the piano so I was hoping the blue would look good.
Here it is with a few different items to try out! My grandmothers vintage children’s chair from her childhood that is very special to me and a bird cage. I like the way this all looks but it’s a wee bit dark for me! I need pops of color!
What about yellow flowers instead?
I kind of like this bright look…but it’s still missing something!

So I go back and forth between the two plants! I’m for sure decided on the blue cabinet but help me out on the plant. Tall or short?
It still need something more! I’m still on the hunt for the perfect last addition to the whole look! Suggestions?
Anyway…play with decor! Mix and match until you find what you love! Find large staple or foundation pieces that will work year round when you replace smaller items around it to fit the season or holiday or your mood in my case! Large statement pieces like these vintage windows are worth their investment!
Tips for finding great salvages windows:
  • Look for windows that have glass that is in good shape. Cracked panes that are cracked or broken will over time be a hazard especially you rearrange often. No one wants a boo boo!
  • Look for charming details like handles and hinges or hinge marks still on the original windows. Added details make for added charm!
  • Ask the retailer if they have more stock in the back. Often times stores can’t put out all of their inventory or they have yet to clean up all the window panes. It’s worth your time to ask.
  • Look past the dirt and grime! It only takes a little Windex and elbow grease to shine up the glass in a salvages window! Don’t be turned off if it looks filthy!
  • Negotiate the price. If you find more then one window ask if you can get a  discount! The worst thing they will say is no!

Comments

this is so cute …..I love,love,love the red…..;o)

LOVE your RED piano!!!

love it—but who could not love a red piano!

maybe a candle or some sort of figurine…?

[email protected] Present Life says:

I love the new look with the vintage windows. And I definitely like the shorter, brighter flowers better.

I could just kick myself for letting go of about 8-10 6-paned windows when we moved out of our last house. I was 8+ months pregnant, we were moving and I was just sick and tired of all the packing/moving so I didn't care that they got left behind…I care now! One of those regrets I'll probably never forgive myself for!

Beth- the mama bee says:

Another way to get them is to go to a window replacement company and get to know the owner/manager. They throw out thousands of windows a month. My local guy said that he spends $2000 a month on waste disposal for old windows. He said he loves when people come by and has a use for some of the old windows.

Amy {The Idea Room} says:

It looks great! I love the windows! Love your decorating style. So glad I got to see it in person too :)!

I found some awesome blue windows at a Habitat For Humanity store that I just decorated with too.

I love it! Might I suggest a Paper/fabric rosette wreath hanging in the middle of the unpaned window?

I would use a bright pop of yellow for the wreath

Love the red piano..it's perfect :)

That last picture, but with the little black lantern (?) on the left. That could be pretty cute. I love all the colors together. :)

Richmond Thrifter says:

Really cute! I love decorating with old chippy windows too!

Mary Ellen says:

I need to get my windows out of the shed and do this! Darling!

loved that cute little chair you had on top of the piano -

Hey there, I nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award! Go to this link to see what's up =).

I have a couple of windows my neighbors gave me and I need to find the perfect spot for them.

I love both looks you have here.

Ruth

How fun! I loved your old blog design but I think I like this one ever better looks great!
    Malia

kami @ nobiggie.net says:

So cute Becca! I'm sad I didn't get to see it in person.

We will have to do that again!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage says:

I love chippy white windows!!! :) Yours look awesome!

Love the red piano and the blue chest with numbers!

looks great. I have some vintage windows that I'm still trying to figure out what to do with.

megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

Love the RED piano!!! And, of course, the windows looks great! I would have sold you some windows from my house for less than either of those! Oh well!!! Old Windows always look great!

Piorra Maison says:

The final touch. the window frames add to the vignette. Love the red piano.

Oh how I love old windows. Your arrangement is wonderful.

I'm so glad you posted this. I have a vintage window just SITTING in my garage, awaiting some inspiration. :)

Rebecca says:

Great use for old windows! I found some on a local yard sale sight and used one in a collage for my girls' room.

I LOVE old windows! I'm on a hunt for some more myself! Looks great!

Sparrow's Nest says:

tall! I think if you put one or two yellow orchids in with that grass, you'd really have something special. Plus decorative flowers are almost always half off in the winter. (Check Micheal's or Hobby Lobby)

[email protected] Bitsy Paper says:

Way to make these windows really work-I love old windows! They make that fabulous red piano even better that it already is.

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says:

oh I LOVE how this turned out!! So simple but pairing perfectly together! If you have a chance come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings.. http://www.ladybug-blessings.com

Bridget @ ButterNugget Creations says:

First of all, LOVE the red piano!

Also, I have a small obsession with vintage/antique windows (although I have yet to own any). Love your deco scheme using them. I also like the shorter, brighter flowers:)

Ange (Love From My Kitchen) says:

Wow, I'm so thankful my neighbor gifted me with 6 large windows and 4 smaller ones! I love the vintage windows, aren't they fun to decorate with? I have one above my bed and one on my mantel in the living room. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about vintage windows. Regards

Unquestionably believe that which you said.
    Your favorite reason seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to
    be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think
    about worries that they plainly don’t know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out
    the whole thing without having side effect , people can take
    a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz answer back as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would
    like to know where u got this from. cheers

1. [...] {Cat on a Limb} {Blue Sky Confections}  {Tip Junkie}  {Blue Cricket Design}   {The Hopple Family} {Nesting Nest Nested} {My Life on Cedar Street} [...]