Christmas Table Runner: ruffled goodness!!!

My Christmas tablescape would have looked a little lacking had I not whipped up a fun and festive table runner! Thankfully it was literally as easy as  “whipping somehitng up!”  With minimal time and effort I was able to create a look I love and that will be useful all year round thanks to my non traditional color pallet I use for my Christmas decor!

I gathered my fabrics and incorporated red burlap, black and white prints and my favorite blues and red. Mixing prints and textures is a must! For the actual runner I used some fabric I had left over from my out door furniture cushions. One more reason I love having endless fabric on hand! Thank you summer buy!
I cut my ruffle fabric 3″ x 30″ long. I needed two strips, one for each side of the runner! I measured the length of my table and cut my runner sections accordingly. One section for the length of the table and two pieces that would hang off the table by 15″.
 To create a ruffle simply use your widest straight stitch setting and sew a straight line down one of the edges of your strips. Pull the back piece of thread and gather your fabric to create a ruffle. Once you have a ruffle created sew it on the bottom of one of your side panels.

Continue making your ruffles and adding them onto the panels being sure to overlap slightly the row before it.
 Allow room at the very top for space to sew it to the center section of the runner.
 Sew each side panel on the the center panel!
 And that’s all she wrote! If you look close you can see that I added two lines of decorative stitching. One zig zag stitch and one scalloped stitch.
This really was a much needed detail to make my table complete!  A bold pop of color with a flirty feature that I adore! Simple? YES! YES! YES!!!
And if you missed my Pier 1 Imports post on how I created this beautiful tablescape you can read more about it HERE! And if you like what you see please help me share this fun post by clicking the “Facebook” or “Twitter” icon below to share this link with your friend and family! Much appreciated!

Comments

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts says:

Oooo . . . I love the ruffles and the colors!

[email protected] the Screen Door says:

Love this idea! And your color combination! Your tablescape is lovely!

Nana Moon Shop says:

The colors are just perfect! I'd use this year around. Thanks for the tutorial!

~Danylle

saraiwithani says:

I have had the same solid black boring runner on my table for years now…I'm totally stealing, I mean borrowing, this project!! Adorable :)

Love it! The ruffles are so fun! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

So festive and fun!

CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [30 Nov 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Oooh! I love it! Would love for you to come link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says:

ah this is so cute!

The Shanty Girl says:

This table runner is beautiful, I love your choice of colors.

Sherry

Handy Man, Crafty Woman says:

Very pretty, what a creative idea, all those ruffles.

Ok I am in a swoon over this project…
    The colors
    The ruffles
    It's amazing!
    xoxo Malia

What a fabulous idea! I just made a ruffle apron for my sister and am making a Christmas one for myself. Same idea, different use. I'll be posting my tutorial/pics next week at http://enjoylifeandlove.blogspot.com.

Carmie of the Single Nester says:

What a great runner! I love how the colors aren't the typical red and green. Now if I could only sew.

I love the colors as well! Thanks for sharing, I'll be spreading the word.

Love this!!

I gave you a blog award!-you can pick it up on my blog at http://cupofdelight.blogspot.com/2010/12/blog-award.html

That is so fun! I wish I had a sewing machine now!

ceodraiocht says:

Becca – I love ruffles – that is so perfect!!

Maggie

Such a pretty table! I think ruffles make everything better. So cute.

[email protected] The Picket Fence says:

This is so adorable and fun–I love it. Looks like it belongs in Home Companion magazine, if it was still around. Thanks for linking up!

Anonymous says:

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

SOOO cute! I love the colors!