Stenciled Book Cover: Creating a stencil from scratch!

Stencils can be super expensive and they often come in sizes that are a some times too small or just barely too big! When I got my Silhouette cutting machine last month I was wondering if I would be able to make my own custom Stencils! And the answer is YES!!!!!

If you go to the Stencil section of most craft stores you can find sheets of Mylar, the plastic material that stencils are made from. A small 12 x 12 sheet is only $1.99. I cut mine to the 8.5″ with to fit my machine and was then ready to create!

I picked out the shape that I wanted to experiment with and was able to make it the exact size I wanted!

I used the Pink cap that is used for cutting through the thickest material and pressed cut!

I did have to push out the design but it still had clean and crisp edging making my stencil perfectly ready to use!

Next I gathered my paint, book, stencil and paintbrush…

I held my stencil in place and painted a single layer of paint on my book cover.

I love how it adds just a tiny little detail! I can’t wait to get busy making more and more stencils! There are thousands of designs I can upload from the Silhouette collection on line! The trick is using a design that is solid and will punch out in one piece! This entire project took me like 10 minutes start to finish! I love this new toy of mine!

HINT HINT HINT!!!! I’m pretty sure you won’t want to miss tomorrows BIG giveaway! I’m just sayin!

Find out how you can become a guest poster HERE!

Comments

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

{LOVE}!

From what I read on blogs, this machine is just so versatile.

I love hints….and surprises. La

Shelle @ Dreamy Nest? {not!}* says:

I love my Silhouette. I haven't made any stencils from Mylar yet. Thanks for the tip. Yours looks too cute!

Sassy Sites! says:

I love this! Looks very elegant too! :)

Annie of Blue Gables says:

ooooo, you are a genius!!!! I will keep this in mind. wahoo.
    ~a

Patricia Torres says:

Oh lovely!! this is such a nice tutorial.. I was planning on doing one on my blog as well.. but will now link to yours.. coz you've made it look really simple & easy.

We made butterfly and ballerina stencils for my girls room.. and painted them on the wall… When do you have a minute… do look at these two posts..

And you've got a fabulous blog.. I'm so happy I found you!! So many inspirations waiting for me here!! :-)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try..

Very pretty!
    Thank you for sharing this…a much less expensive option than the die cutting name brand stencil material!

Becca that's awesome!!! I can't wait to make some stencils too ;) Come see what I made with my machine, so glad we are both doing this!

Anonymous says: