Sunday Flashback "Coping"

I remember this day as if it were yesterday! I was home with my three and it was less then a month after I had Charlie. It was just one of those days like I’m sure many of you can relate to. I loved re reading this post! It made me proud of myself! That day could have gone two ways! I’m glad it went the way of finding the beat and clapping my hands!

Originally posted 4/8/09

DANCE or go INSANE

Today will go down in history as my worst day yet! (… ok Becks! Stop being so melodramatic! Worst day W.T.K…With Three Kids!) It’s Wednesday so that means I HAVE to cram 3 kids in car seats in the back of my Corolla! This task has jumped to the top of my list of things I HATE to do! So of course there’s a fight of who sits where, and tears and tantrums and, oh yeah…the kids weren’t too happy either!

Blue was her regular self at Target today… asking for everything, begging to go to the toy section where disappointment awaited her! She’s a sport though I will give her that! She helped carry a few things but managed to drop them every few feet and I was constantly asking her to hurry up, follow me and to try not to drop that again!

Should I take it as a compliment that the kids always want to be in the same room as me! Should I be flattered when I get sat on and smothered by little girls. I swear today I was covered in kids, totally enveloped in them!

So there was yelling, and fighting, and pulling one of the other! There was banging on a door with a mop and barricading in a closet. It was chaos! CHAOS!!! Phone calls were barely heard and cut short because I couldn’t hear over the fighting!

So picture it… tears, snotty noses , a baby who nurses ALL DAY LONG and me with three day old hair! Not pretty! I have piles of laundry, dinner still to invent and no desire to do any of it!

So that’s when it hit me! DANCE or go INSANE!!!! No I mean it! Pick one! You chose! So DANCE it was! My kids like Dance mom more then Insane mom so there you go! I gathered my crazy chickens and headed for the dance floor a.k.a. the living room! In went “Pink Martini” and away we danced! No holding back, swirly girl dancing! Close your eyes even dancing!30 min. of dancy dance dance! And breath mama! Breath

And can I just say I have inspired friends. In all the turmoil of my day I had two glimmers of sunshine… One amazing friend who heard the girls at their best while we were on the phone showed up with a new game for them to get lost in! Worked like a charm… it was my only relief from their coo cooness! And then at 6 p.m. a.k.a. Melt Down o’clock, I open the front door to find my oh so inspired neighbor and friend with food in hand and a friendly smile! One more amazing meal can you believe it and just when I needed it! Do I have amazing friends or what!

So the moral of the story is this… Always chose DANCE over going INSANE! Always open the door even when your nursing pad is folded in your bra wrong and looks like you have a folded nursing pad in your shirt. Always end the day with your kids with kisses and snuggles even if that was the last thing you wanted to give them all day long! And always remember that tomorrow isn’t Wednesday!!! That is unless it’s Tuesday night and then you’re pretty much screwed!

Find out how you can become a guest poster HERE!

Comments

2littlehooligans says:

HAHA thank you so much, I needed that!! We just had 3 kids in 3 years and that is so my life! I love the idea of dancing. Im definately going to use that one someday… maybe today :)

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

Life is definitely what you make of it! I'm so glad you choose to dance!!

Great idea, dance! Yes, you do have good friends!

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts says:

Thanks for sharing the flashback. What you experience back then . . . flashforward . . . is what I needed to read now. It's a great reminder for today and each day after. ;)

And by the way, you are one great mom!

Loose Sparrow Arts N Crafts says:

This ALMOST makes me wish to return to those days. Thanks for the laugh and inpiration. Keep dancing cuz time flies by so quickly and pretty soon you will be saying my daughter just turned thirty! Wow, I am OLD!

Wow. This could have come from my own journal. Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel a little less crazy just reading it. Gotta dance more I guess!

Nina @ Momma Go Round says:

Hilarious! I can just imagine you all rockin' out! Such a great idea.

Isn't it amazing how your friends can manage to sense when you need them the most? I think we are all so lucky and blessed if we even have one friend like this…but 2 in one day, you rock!

sayonada says:

this post is bringing tear to my eyes… whether you have one kid or three or 10, we all have days like this. thanks for reminding me to always dance! :)

Ron and Connie says:

What a wonderful way to deal with stress. And what a lucky girl you are to have friends like that.

Great advice , I love it ~ We get so wrapped up in everything that "needs" to be done that we screw up what really should be done with all our anxieties and who usually pays the price? The poor little demons. My oldest is 12 so I have had a few years to figure this out. Screw the dinner, laundry, shopping etc. Somedays we just need to dance:) Thank you

Ah yes! We have many dance parties at our house just for that reason! :)

allison says:

That might be one of the most inspiring things I've read in a while. I baby sit 3 kids in addition to my 4, so sometimes I'm home with 7 kids all day! Let's just say, I'm going to choose to be dancing because of this! Thanks for the inspiration and the smiles!

I think we all have days like these every now and then. Especially with a new baby it's hard to do "everything". I liked the part about the girls following you everywhere. Why do kids do this? I'm glad to hear it's not just mine. I swear I go upstairs to grab something and next thing I know I have two little shadows behind me. I go to the basement to change the laundry out, and again two more shadows. It's like they drop everything when I leave the room and have to just be with me. Drive me nuts at time.