Scrap Strip Fabric Summer Bunting

Every Season deserves its very own Bunting don’t you think? Summer was just begging for one so instead of me heading outside I headed down stairs and got to work creating this easy and bright bunting to splash a little summer color in my front room!

It’s easy to assemble when you do your shopping in your scrap pile! You’ll need a variety of bright fabrics and a Double folded Bias Tape.

Lucky for me I have a fabric obsession! The hardest part I had with this project was narrowing down the fabric I wanted to use! I found that smaller prints looked best for this Bunting!

Cut your fabric into 8″x 9″ sections.

I then layered the fabric on top of a piece of craft felt. Now I know I always shout it from the roof tops to use high quality felt but in this case get your hands on the cheap stuff! This crazy set came from the Dollar Store! By layering the fabric on top of the felt we’re just creating a thicker more sturdy Bunting. Stitch the fabric on top of the felt by straight stitching or zig zagging the edges. Make it look playful and messy! It’s charming to look “un-perfect!”

Next we’ll make strips of fabric to lay on top. Again, this isn’t perfect science! Just make strips roughly 1″. We’ll trim the fabric that hangs over the edges.

Lay your strips being sure to vary your colored strips.

Straight Stitch them on with a bold color that will stand out and add one more detail!

Now it’s time to create our bunting.I love using Double Folded Bias Tape. It’s perfect!

To make sure your fabrics are perfectly centered simply fold the Bias Tape in half and mark the center with a straight pin.

Spread the bias tape on the floor and put your center Fabric directly in the Middle using your pin as a reference! Then add the rest being sure to space them evenly. Lastly you’ll straight stitch the Bias Tape together securing the fabric inside!

Bright Bold and perfect for Summer! Easy Peasy….just the way Summer projects should be!

Find out how you can become a guest poster HERE!

Comments

miss corner cape says:

wanted to tell you that's super cute. love it!

CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [29 Jun 01:06pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

TJ and Whitnee says:

I love the zig zag! I'd like to share a link on sewwhattoday.blogspot.com!

Judy @ In His Grip says:

Okay, so your bunting is really cute. But that red piano is fabulous! I love, love, love it.

harleywife says:

this is SO SO cute ! and I agree ; the red piano is awesome !

casserole says:

Great idea for using up those scraps!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

Emma @ emmanemhandmade says:

Adorable! Love it, thanks for the idea! I am going to make some for a baby shower next month!

Tina @ Making the Mantle says:

So cheerful! Love the colors and can't wait to try this project!

Quilted Cupcake says:

That is an awesome bunting. I made one a while back for my nephew's first birthday, but yours is miles better – never thought about piecing it.

Thanks for the opportunity to share on Wednesday, too. I just put my first one!

Tracy Suzanne says:

Hi Becca. I just found your blog at Tip Junkies party. This is a new take on the bunting and it's really cute. I just love your colors.

I hope you have a fun 4th!
    Hugs…Tracy :)

pateiwah says:

unusual and cute idea. my first thought was doll blanket. the next was why not have her make it herself?
    super simple to do in so many ways. also for miniature enthusiasts, doing the 1/12 and 1/24. doing a quilt
    for the smaller period displays is so expensive to buy but also to make.
    I think I will do this for my grand daughters kindergarten graduation next month and maybe Christmas
    to hang in the window ~ so many ideas!!!!