School years done right!

A few years ago While I was visiting my dads house he handed over a plastic grocery bag filled with my school “Crap” as he would have put it!!! Certificates, reports, awards, pictures etc… It was a jumbled mess but so fun to go through non the less!

I found an award I was given in Kindergarten, ” Great pumper award!!!” I’m sure my teacher had to rack her brain to come up with that one. I wasn’t a good speller or math whiz so being a good pumper on the swings was my top skill at the time! Still it was probably better then getting a “Great pusher in of her chair award!”

I also found a 10th place ribbon for some field day event, a poem I wrote in the 2nd grade and a slew of other smile inducing pieces of paper!

With the school year ending I’m sure you may be wondering what to do with the pile of “School crap!” your little ones have been bringing home! Problem solved!

On each hanging file I’ll be displaying their “First day of school” photo along with their signature.
I can’t wait to see how their handwriting changes over the years!

I picked up the pink crates at Walmart and let each of my girls pick out the ribbon they wanted. I’ll add their name in vinyl just above the bow.

These cute crates are easy to store in our guest room closet and even stack!!!

So there you have it! A place to put all those special treasures our little monkeys come home with!

Find out how you can become a guest poster HERE!

Comments

THIS IS PRICELESS!!!!! I am getting one started for Sam this week!….she just got her first Mommy&Me gymnastics certificate! HAHAHA! maybe a crate is a little too big right now….

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com says:

Great idea! I keep a scrapbook of their school years but for things that don't fit, I just have a memory box.

Sugar and Spice Mommy says:

What a great idea! THANKS!:)

tinahead81 says:

fantastic idea!!!

Absolutely AWESOME idea! Thank you! I will heading out to get myself a file box for my girl!

I loves these Becca, especially the pictures on each folder with their hand written name! What a keepsake!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants says:

This is such a good idea! I am going to have to do this when my boy goes to school.

Great idea!! I have seen many other ideas but this is defenitley the best. Something i could certainly use.

Birdie3008 says:

Love this! I am adding this to my to-do list for this summer.

Great Idea Becca! We use unused pizza boxes (we ask for extras when we get pizza) covered with brown paper and decorated for the year. The front of the box says the grade level. They are a little taller so they fit those awkward sized projects that come home. They also stack nicely and fit perfect into rubbermaid bins for long term storage.

~Kelli @ Smidgens

Ashley @ Bride on a Budget says:

Very cute idea!

Tiffany says:

LOVE this idea! I want to organize my OWN school "stuff" that my mom has. Once I'm done with mine, I may start on my sisters and brothers. My mom need some organization in her life. :)

Kerstin says:

Great Idea! I have hanging folders with my kids stuff, but there is only one for each and they are stuffed! I'm switching to this method. Thanks

Judith @ Creating Balance says:

Awesome! So simple! My littles ones are in pre-school. I love the pictures they come home with, but I have to weed through what stays and what goes b/c there is so much! Papers end up on the counter, then transferred to the dining room, then stuffed in one of my dresser drawers! I'll have to make me a crate for their cards and gifts to me, too. Been thinking about it for a while…thanks for the inspiration nudge. Good weekend project!

Fun On a Dime Lady says:

Love it! It is so much easier to keep track of it as it is happening than years after. I love how you have a place to write their name next to their picture to see how their handwriting changes. Such a grat idea and so simple!

This is really a great idea! Just know you'll need more than one bucket per child…my mom just bequeathed me my "bucket" from my high school years and it takes two people to lift!

How fun. My mom was never a "scrapbooker" and this is how she stored all of our little keepsakes, from school art to awards and photos.

I love being able to go back and show the kids just what I was working on at their age.

Great idea.

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

This is so much better than the huge manilla folder full of school stuff in my closet!!!

tricityty says:

Love it, I do keep a file folder for my son for each year but it is not very organized and not all in one place. So I need to work on this. My school stuff is in 2 plastic bins with lids, not organized. My husband said his mom did not keep anything he wishes she would have. So your kids will love this when they get older! Or even as each year passes! I had to think a minute when you said pumper award. Fist Pumping? Then I got the swing thing! Neat!

handbags*n*pigtails says:

Love this! I was so blessed last year when my daughter's Kindergarten teacher kept a scrapbook of her year…graded(special) papers and "tests" and pictures of her doing different activities and at playtime,etc… writing notes along the way and including progression sheets as well. It was the best gift Ive ever been given b/c I hate to scrapbook and all my work was already done when she gave me the binder.
    At our parent-teacher meetings throughout the year she'd let us see it and I couldnt wait until the end of the year to get our binder:)
    But yes, I do love this idea and may be borrwing it in the future:)
    Sarah
    HandbagsnPigtails.blogspot.com

Tiffany says:

Adding the handwriting is a nice touch.

~Kimberly says:

Fabulous idea! My mom had big flat boxes under our beds that were just a jumbled mess of papers from our school days. I'm trying my best to stay motivated to keep my kids papers organized. Thanks for the post! I love your idea!

I LOVE this idea!! My 1st grader brought home a bunch of stuff this year and now my filing cabinet is over flowing. I think we will be making these!!

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good says:

This is the best idea I have seen. My parents saved EVERYTHING I ever wrote on I think so when I was given my "crap" I had to go through everything. {Of course I only saved the "happy things" not the papers that required parent signature ones.} I love the idea of the signature and the picture of the first day of school. Priceless.

Pati @ A Crafty Escape says:

Love the idea of having them write their name- priceless!

valentinegirl says:

Very smart idea….I have some plastic bins with their artwork and I have kept a bunch of stuff, but this is the perfect way to store a few samples from through out the year. LOVE!

This is just about the best idea I've ever seen! I love it. Can I start one for my two year old already? Um… yes!