Framed Mirror

FINALLY! Finally after three years I can check something off my “To Do” list and I’m happy to brag that I did it all by myself! From start to finish I framed out our bathroom mirror. While my husband was out of the country for two plus weeks I got busy trying to surprise him with a fun bathroom makeover!

Here’s my before.

Standard builder issued large mirror glued to the wall. Plane, simple and begging for a makeover!

I had to ask myself once I was done why I hadn’t done this sooner! This really is probably the simplest project with a huge payoff in the end. I love how it looks!

Materials Needed:

Molding Trim and a Miter Box
Paint
Liquid Nails
Paintable Caulking
Level
Painters Tape

First things first… Measure your mirror. I planned on gluing my molding directly on top of the mirror so I measures the exact size of my mirror. Measure twice to be 100% sure!

Take your measurements with you to Home Depot or Lowes. Pick out the molding you like and have the worker cut them into four sizes at least 6 inches longer then the length you need for each section. This will make cutting them more manageable.

If you go to Home Depot they will have a self serve cutting station with a Miter Box that you are welcomed to use. You can also buy a miter box for less then $10 to make your cuts at home. Lay out your four pieces of molding and measure and mark your cutting lines knowing which direction your 45 degree angle will go.

Cut your angels and head home with the hardest part behind you!

Paint your moldings and once the front is dry you will also want to paint a small section of the back side. You will see a reflection in the mirror of the back so you’ll want to paint it!

Add a strip of Liquid Nails but keep it at least an inch away from the edges.

Start with the bottom section and firmly press on your piece of molding. Use a level to make sure it’s nice and level. This will help make sure each of the other pieces fit perfectly!

Use painters tape to help keep each section in place. Let dry over night.

Use Clear paintable Caulking to fill in the edges and cracks that will inevitable appear after it settles and dries.

Smooth the excess caulking with your fingers and wipe smooth. Let it dry according to the directions and lastly paint over your caulking and there you go!

So easy! Such a dramatic change! And talk about an affordable home improvement…

Molding: .98 cents a foot
Liquid Nails: $4
Caulking: $2
Paint: $8

Total cost for all my supply’s:$30

And now besides the molding, I have everything I need to do my two others bathrooms!

Find out how you can become a guest poster HERE!

Comments

Stacy Marie says:

it looks great! good job!

Thanks for posting this tutorial. I've been staring at the same style of mirror for the past 10 years begging my husband to frame up the mirror. I finally broke down and bought a new light fixture last week so hopefully that will inspire him! Not planning to redo the bathroom anytime soon but I'm thinking a new fixture & mirror may jazz it up a bit.

Candace says:

You did a wonderful job, and I'm feeling totally inspired!

It looks great and I'm impressed that you did it by yourself. I had to get hubs to help me. Oh, and I forgot to paint the back of my molding so I have that dang reflection! Bet I won't forget on the next one.

Looks fabulous! You make it sound so easy. I just might have to do this. Better yet, could you come to my house and do it for me? That would be awesome! :)

Life in Rehab says:

As always, a beautifully done, and you make it look so easy I'm going to have to try it.

Love Being a Nonny says:

Looks great! I am going to do this. I have been saying it, now I REALLY am! Thanks for sharing!

Loose Sparrow Arts N Crafts says:

Wow! I am impressed. It looks so professional.

Jax @ AlyandAsh says:

This looks awesome! Great idea!

Condo Blues says:

Did you use liquid nails to glue the frame to the mirror or to the wall?

Megan @ polishthestars.com says:

Wow that made a huge difference for such a small change! Great job!

Suzanne says:

I have 4 mirrors that need this transformation. You did a beautiful job!

Yep, that's next on my TO DO list. It looks great!

Becca

Beki - TheRustedChain says:

It's perfect!

I've been wanting to do this. Now I'm going to do this!

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Love, love this!!!

What a great idea! I might have to try this when my hubby's out of the country for two weeks…in two years!

Christine:) says:

What a beautiful finished product! I love the dark color contrast against the blue wall.

Looks great!! I swear there is nothing you can't do!
    Nadine

I've been staring at our kids bathroom mirror thinking it needs to be framed in, but had no idea how to do it! I'm going to give this a try, but have my hubby do it. I'm not that brave. I stick to sewing and will help him in this area if need be. You're pretty awesome for doing it on your own!

Infarrantly Creative says:

it looks like it was meant to be. Those plain builder mirrors are so boring. I have two of them myself!

ificould says:

Thanks for the clear directions. I've seen this done before, but haven't found anyone that gives me the step-by-step instructions. Perfect!! I'm featuring this tutorial on Wednesday. Thank you!!

Well done to you! I love what you have done, and while your hubby was away too…impressive (I can totally imagine the thought of his surprise helped you to keep going)

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

Hi Becca,
    I'm so glad you gave us the steps to this tutorial. I've been meaning to try this, so I'm going to bookmark your post to guide me through. I'm so happy to read that it was fairly easy to do! :)

michelle@somedaycrafts says:

Very nice improvement! Looks great!

What a gorgeous transformation!!

Kari @ Ucreate says:

Becca,
    What a fabulous makeover! LOVE the frame on this mirror because it doesn't shrink the mirror part too much like others I've seen. I'll be sending my readers your way!

the Adkins says:

Do you have the mirror clips? And if so, how did you deal with them?
    It looks lovely!

Rebekah says:

AMAZING!!! We were so busy with our adoption/newborn last summer that we didn't get any summer projects done. Now, I'm hyped up with ideas. I'm for sure stealing this one!!

Thanks :)

Sunshine of Seven says:

That totally dresses that mirror up! I have a mirror that I need to do this to! Thanks & Great Job!

What a huge difference! Fantasic job.

Lolly Jane says:

lovin it. thx for the diy instructions!

Anonymous says:

I love this idea! Thanks for the tutorial!!

BTW, it is a 45 degree angle, not 90 degree like you stated. :)

I've wanted to do this for a while in my last house and now in this one. You've inspired me. Off to Home Depot!

I have a question, I have a unframed mirror that I want to glue to the wall with the mirror adhesive you showed in the picture, do I have to use clips with that? The directions say use them, however I was wondering if your mirror had them?

• 41
      Melanie says:

Mine has the mirror clips and I’m afraid if I remove them the mirror will fall (maybe it’s not glued to the wall enough). Did you find our what to do if there are clips? Thanks.

Lizzy, I did not have clips on my mirror!

kylie.morrison says:

Becca, I love it! My home has the huge builders mirrors that I couldn't handle on my own. I noted that your mirror appeared to be butted up against the wall on the left side but don't wan't to assume that you used the liqid nails directly on the mirror's surface. If so, then this is the answer I have been looking for and won't need to ask for help. I can do it all by myself!Did you actually apply the liquid nails and molding directly onto the mirror? Thanks. Mary Jane

This is brilliant!! I have two huge mirrors like this and I am so using your post for inspiration :) I have plans to make one a huge starburst mirror. Thank you! I will post pictures on my blog http://thesunsetlane.blogspot.com

Kari

I have been wanting to do this FOREVER!! But never got around to it. We have a gorgeous master bath but the mirrors look so Blah. Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Hello :) I am SUPER excited to do this!! I just sent my husband to Home Depot to get the molding (because he was going anyway)… he didn’t find the SAME as you bought (which I love!!!) Did you get it at Home Depot or Lowe’s or somewhere else?? I love that your molding is kind of like three frames around… others he found weren’t as detailed… but he did find a REALLY cool super chunky frame we are going to use in our master bath!! Can ya help me out for out 1/2 bath? Thanks bunches!! :)

I really, really want to do this in my master bath. Maybe I should do the guest bath too?

BizzyMom says:

NICE!! I just got moulding over the weekend to do this very same idea!

LOVE IT!

It’s hard to tell in the picture….does your mirror have the clips on it to hold it on to the wall? Mine does and was wondering how that would work. I want to put the molding directly on the mirror also because the end of the mirror is flaked.

Thanks!
    Linda

SO getting ready to do this project. Excited!! Quick question for ya. What about the clips?? My mirror has those plastic clips. Do you have to remove those? Just wondering. Thanks so much.

Cut your angels

OUCH!

Great tutorial. The Yellow Cape Cod shared this. I’m so going to do this for my mirror

Danielle M says:

Please, please let us know about the mirror clips. How did the molding fit over the clips and if you took them off, how does the mirror stay on the wall without them. Would really like to do this in our bathroom but hoping you could let us know before I give this a try. Thanks!

So I have been wanting to do this to our bathroom mirror, thanks for the information! I was curious I have the clear plastic clips outside of the mirror holding it in place as well as glue. Any ideas on how to make this technique work when I don’t have a flat surface around my mirror? Sometimes it is easier to think of a solution when you have done it once. So maybe you have a better idea than I have…crossing my fingers at least!

• 55

I didn’t have the clips so I just glued on top of the mirror! Wish I knew for sure how to get around that! So sorry!

• 56
      Melanie says:

Mine has the mirror clips and I’m afraid if I remove them the mirror will fall (maybe it’s not glued to the wall enough). Did you find our what to doe? Thanks.

You make this look Super Duper Easy! I have been wanting to do this–those huge builders mirrors are so ugly- you have me convinced that I can tackle this! Thank you!!

So I’m moving into an apartment with a mirror just like that, and I love the idea of framing it, but I can’t do anything permanent. Any ideas of how to attach the molding in a non-permanent way?

Thanks,

Erika

• 59

You can try assembling it on the ground and then attaching it using hook and loop! 3M command strips are easy to remove and I use them as often as possible! It might take a few packs but so worth a try!

This looks so great!! I’m doing an overhaul of our hall bath and this is such a fantastic idea to makeup those ugly mirrors!! One question for you – what kind of molding did you use? I’m looking online at Home Depot and can’t seem to find anything similar… maybe I just need to go in and look in person?
    If you remember the name and measurements (width) of your molding that would be great!!
    Thanks in advance!

Did you just glue the molding over the plastic holders? i’m just wondering if i should remove them first.

Laura Leigh says:

I love the framed mirror and need to do this to mine. I was wondering how this looks from the side. Can you see the mirror behind the molding since you glued it on top of it? Also, does the molding extend past the length of the mirror at all? I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

This looks great and I really want to try this on mybathroom mirrors, only one question my mirrors have a glass molding along the outside edge. How can I remove without damaging the mirror. Thanks

Hi, I am a D.I.Y newbie and have been inundated (in a good way) with so many different ideas. My creative side is uber excited about implementing the different techniques I come across. I am a renter so I am very limited as to what I can do with the existing fixtures and things in this apartment home. I have two questions: 1. Is this a permanent fix to the mirror? 2. If so, do you have a temporary suggestion of how I could dress up my builder mirrors so when I move they can look the way they were before? Thanks for your help and for posting this tutorial. :)

Also, if the home improvement stores will cut the molding to the exact size, why is it suggested to get the molding 6 inches longer than needed? I was confused by that part. Did you subsequently cut off the 6 inches at home? Thanks for any response…

Does anyone have the mirrors that have a piece of metal trim across the bottom edge? I don’t have the plastic clips but I have this thin piece at the bottom that makes everything uneven. I did my small bathroom mirror with tiles around it and it took us all day to get that trim off. Just wondered if anyone had a trick. We had to use a roto zip and almost broke the mirror. UGH!

Looks so great! I have been wanting to do this for years but couldn’t figure out the sides I.e. can u see the mirror under the moulding from the side? The 3 mirrors I want to do all abut a wall on only one side. Can u see the mirror underneath on the side where yours doesn’t meet the wall? If so does it look ok? Thanks!

Did you also caulk around the mirror, against the wall? Since the moulding is glued to the mirror itself, there is a big gap between the frame and the wall! Help!

Wow. The mirror now looks great … Really nice tutorial

Great post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more onn thus topic?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.

Appreciate it!

1. [...] followed the simple tutorial on framing your mirror from Blue Cricket Design. Her post was the first one I saw featuring this project and I’ve also seen this mirror in [...]

2. [...] Or this one from Blue Crickets Design – she has a great tutorial too [...]

3. [...] Frame up our builder grade mirror upstairs with a tutorial like this one. [...]

4. [...] This framed mirror is quite beautiful as well. Here’s how you can make a similar one. You’ll need molding trim, paint, liquid nails, paintable caulking, a level and painter’s tape. Measure the mirror and paint the moldings. Attach it to the mirror. Use tape to keep each section in place. Then fill the edges with paintable caulking and then paint over it.{found on bluecricketdesign}. [...]

5. [...] This framed mirror is quite beautiful as well. Here’s how you can make a similar one. You’ll need molding trim, paint, liquid nails, paintable caulking, a level and painter’s tape. Measure the mirror and paint the moldings. Attach it to the mirror. Use tape to keep each section in place. Then fill the edges with paintable caulking and then paint over it.{found on bluecricketdesign}. [...]