The Dutch are on to something!

I’m creating a “Home Wish List” and a Dutch Split door is on the list! We are starting to do some home improvements FINALLY and if it were up to me a Dutch Door would be hung this weekend!

It’s been a childhood dream of mine to have a Red Dutch Split door! I think there is nothing more charming and picturesque! I can picture it now… the kids playing outside as my door is opened on the top! I can glance outside and wave as the baby is safely inside at my heels!Fresh air and sunshine!

Dutch door= I WANT THAT!!!!

So so fun huh! I’m waiting on a bid from VintageDoors.com! Fingers crossed it’s not going to cost me an arm and a leg to make my dreams come true!

What’s on your home improvement wish list!?

Comments

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

I, too, love dutch split doors – remember in Funny Farm when Chevy Chase ran into the doorknob of their split door?

Okay, I am currently living in The Netherlands and the only people I know who have a Dutch split door are my in-laws. I expected they'd be more popular since they are from here *L*

I like them too, I think they're really quite practical!

Mmmmm. Those are beautiful and practical, aren't they? They just scream sunshine and cool breeze.

Pink Princess says:

YUP we Dutch ain't that silly are we lol ;)
    There ARE quite a lot of people who have them, esp around the countryside. Also in the big cities but most of those are not open all day. In the countryside where I live we have a lot of them. I don't have one because I rent duh. My sis in law used to have one in her old home, lovely ♥♥

We have thought about this for our boys room. They get into everything at nap time. We want to make it high enough they can't reach the door knob but the top will stay open since they hate having the door closed.

I too have always wanted a Dutch door! My SO is a bug freak so if I want one I have to figure out how to have the top screened in which essentially means no split doors for me. *sigh* I will live vicariously thru you ;)

I HAVE ONE!!! It opens onto my deck from my kitchen… I fell in love with it when we looked at this house and it is every bit as wonderful as you think it would be. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

first on my wishlist is buying a home :)

♥ Calamity Anne ♥ says:

I've always wanted a dutch door, but the mosquitos would eat us alive if I ever left it open…and that defeats the purpose of having that kind of door. A screen door would solve the mosquito problem, but the 3 dogs would have that destroyed in no time flat! Could I just enjoy your dutch door from afar?

Well, I didn't know it, but I guess a Dutch split door!!

do you remember that rental house we had after we moved out of the beach house? It had a split door and it was so fun! When I was home, the top of that door was always open! I completely forgot about that and now I want one… except there isn't a place for it in this home. Maybe my #1 home improvement project is to get my husband to agree to move sometime in this life so I can have one!

no home yet, but it's no secret I want a laundry/utility sink!!! I love that dutch door! Never thought about one of those, but may just have to add it to my wish list!

My grandparents had a Dutch split door and I LOVED it! I'm not sure how I would make one work in this home, but I can't wait to see yours!

When I was young my play house ha a dutch door. I LOVED it! I would love to have on in my home as well.

And every window in my dream house would have shutters. I am so tired of blinds!

They're gorgeous! Have fun!

I used to work as a purchaser for a general contractor and we put a split door in our office play room. I ordered it through BMC West – a local (in Utah) lumber yard. I'm sure Stock Building Supply or Burton Lumber have them as well. They can come unfinished (if you want) like any other door and you could finish it however you want. I'd imagine that it's MUCH cheaper than getting it bid out by a big fancy door company. Just a thought…it might be worth checking out! You might also be able to pick any regular door and have the lumber yard cut it and finish it out to be a custom split door – I'm trying to remember if that's what we did (it's been a couple years). Either way, might be cheaper…may be worth a try….. :o) GOOD LUCK! Let me know if this route works out for you or if you have any questions!

P.S. I follow your blog and I LOVE your stuff!!!

My kids have one on their playhouse. I never thought about our house door. GREAT IDEA! I don't think it would be to hard to do. :) My mind is turning.

Kalli Ko says:

This is random. No really, but my husband was just saying 2 days ago "if we ever build a house I want to do a dutch door", I said "what the crap is a dutch door? Is it as good as pancakes because I AM IN!".

and scene

{ erin } says:

Don't forget that you could always find an amazing vintage door and have a local wood worker or carpenter to cut it in half for you. And add a litte ledge for your apple pies!! :)

I saw those kind of doors all over South Africa.

I want my stairs to be completed. I dream of an awesome stair railing rather than ugly plywood!

Oh!! I would sooooo love to have one too!! Don't you think if you had one you would just automatically live Happily Ever After???!!!

Holly Days Closet says:

Now there are two things dutch I want the door and shoes. I have been wanting some of those wooden shoes since I was a little girls in the 70's. I'm loving those doors now.
    Holly

sweetpicklesandchocolate says:

I've always wanted a dutch door too. I have an extra door I've thought about cutting in half and adding a small shelf to the top of the bottom half….i haven't gotten the nerve yet.
    Good luck!
    Dena

Meet Virginia says:

I totally want too! The yellow is so awesome!!

Check out my new
    GIVEAWAY!!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!

Pippi Longstocking says:

My current home improvement wish list consists of one thing:

Owning a home to improve.

After reading Tiffany's comment, I'll just say "ditto" to hers. That's what I was going to suggest too. Have fun. I too have always loved dutch doors.

The Girl Creative says:

Oh goodness, those are cute! My home improvement wish is to have a great big kitchen and living room to have parties and host holidays. :)

Ive always loved those, too!

I saw them make one out of a regular door on Design on a Dime on HGTV!

Farmgirl Susan says:

What a wonderful collection of doors. I love them all – and now I want one! :)