I bet if you looked under a Leprechauns jacket you may in deed find Ruffles!

***** I have two posts today so be sure to check out the one that posted before this one!

Post Options

In honor of this years day of Green and all things Irish and lovely…I’ve gone against my better judgment to create a Holiday Shirt Worthy of Leprechaun love!

I give full credit to the Dollar Store for making this project Possible!

Hello Dollar Store Shirts! Yep! These green shirts were hard to resist as I browsed the aisles of Dollar Tree! And for a total of TWO Bucks I was up for the challenge…heck! If it went horribly wrong it wasn’t going to cost me much!

I used the larger shirt as my ruffle supplier by cutting 1.5″ strips from it’s bottom.

I knew I wanted 6 total strips that varied in length. Remember these are doubled up in the photo…I cut each set of strips about 2″ shorter then the longer one that proceeded it to get the lengths I needed!

Then I sewed a straight stitch down the center of each individual strip being sure to set my machine to create the largest stitch possible.

Repeat until all six strips were stitched! (Say that 6 times fast!)

Now to turn them into ruffles! Simply pull one of the two strings to create a gather! You can do this from each end of the strip to push the gathers towards the center!

Finish Ruffling each strip and keep the long strings in tact.

Before I attached the ruffles to the shirt I wanted to adjust the neck line!

So I cut of the existing neck trim…

Used it as a template to create the new neckline…

And cut it out! Now I have the desired neck line I was hoping for! There I go again trying to show off the cleavage I don’t have!

Now we need to lay out our ruffles and pin them in place!

Straight Stitch them on and remove the pins and trim all the strings!

And lastly we’ll create a new neck trim by using a 1″ strip of fabric from the other shirt we’ve been cutting. Start near the shoulder and fold it over the edge and sew it on!

NO time to crop so pardon the lack of make up and smile! I have to bribe my kids to snap photos for me and today Cricket wasn’t in a bargaining mood!

Make up or no make up I’m in love with how this turned out! And take it from me…if your girls upstairs are lacking this here shirt is all you need to fluff up that section and put a little bounce in your step! Gotta love that!

So back off Pinch Happy friends! I’m covered this year!

P.S. people!

My friend Disney over at “Ruffles and Stuff” is hosting her first ever creative contest! Can you guess what it might involve?????

Ruffles! Ruffles! And more Ruffles!!!!
DUH!!!

Be sure to submit your ruffle creations! The prizes are out of this world!

Comments

Candy (Mama Lion) says:

gorgeous job! and u look so pretty! esp without makeup. u go girl.

make up or not….you're still BEAUTIFUL!! Love this idea!!

Mermaids of the Lake says:

I love it! You did a great job and you look great too, make-up or not! I am loving the ruffles this Spring, but having a hard time finding the perfect shirt for me. I brought one home from Macy's the other day, but… no, it isn't cut right at the neck. I actually spent some time brainstorming about doing sort of what you did. Thank you for the inspiration and the instructions! Have a wonderful week!

Mermaid Debbie

Pink Princess says:

Love it, and yes, these girls of mine need some fluffing up lol. (or rather the lack of the girls ;) )

Staci K. says:

Love it!! I keep seeing these ruffly t-shirt makeovers and I really need to try this myself. Your instructions make it look so simple. Thanks!

Awesome! Just awesome! 2 bucks!?! I sent a link to my MIL in AZ. I finally bought a machine and have yet to open it, but you and your projects are inching me closer to the sewing bug. :)

Cottage Dreamers says:

What a great shirt! And only $2, that's amazing!

Creative Decor by Brooke says:

Are you kidding my? That is darling. Ruffles are the rage, you see them everywhere. I love what you did to a plain old t-shirt. So cute!
    Brooke

Love it Becca. Can't go wrong with ruffles! Darling!

XOXO
    Jen

Heather Ozee says:

That's great! Fantastic design. I'd wear that!

Kristina P. says:

Are you kidding? I almost bought a very similar shirt at J Crew, for about $45.

Adorable.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade says:

Adorable of course missy! Now, if I could get away with no makeup!

Love, love, LOVE the ruffles! Though this project is a bit out of my comfort zone, I think it's ingenious!

Wow! This is so great! I'm sure you make it look easier than it would look on my table, but what an inspiration!! Thank you!

fun! and definitely doesn't fall under the tacky holiday t-shirt category!

Heather @ Brace Yourselves says:

This is adorable!! Someone please teach me to sew!

You are awesome! I love it. And for $2? That does sound like one perfect Leprachon shirt :)

Carmie, the Single Nester says:

Thinks looks terrific! I can barely sew a button.

Tam @ Sew Dang Cute says:

Love this! And for $2?! You can't beat that!!!!

I love this idea! I will be hitting my dollar store tomorrow!

What an adorable idea! Great tutorial!

Jennifer says:

Wow! That is so cute! I love the tip about changing the neckline too!
    Found you on tipjunkie :)

eatlotsachocolate says:

Beautiful shirt you created! I love your creativity and your blog. Come by and say Hi and enter to win 6 dessert plates on my blog and see all my delicious chocolate that I sell.
    Joan

I like how you removed the neck line. Nice work. It turned out beautifully.

Mary Ellen says:

Love this shirt! Such a great idea!

Looks just like the ones on the blog Tea Rose Home. I love the style.

love it

What a great idea! It turned out great!

Vintage Remixed says:

Oh that shirt looks like a million bucks now. I wish I could sew like that. I'm linking up to your party this week. I'm new. So it's nice to meet you.

Crystal

Just Rhonda says:

LOVE IT!!!!!

YOU, totally ROCK the dollar store! I'm so flippan impressed! THAT shirt looks awesome!

The Persimmon Perch says:

That is a great redo especially for $2! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

That is very cute! I didn't even know the dollar store sold clothes, but I'll have to venture into that department next trip.

I could use a little ruffle up top, so I may have to give this one a try.

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says:

Great Dollar Store find! I love the strips of ruffles. I'm looking for shirts the next time I'm at the Dollar Tree. Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm visiting from Made by You Mondays. :)

- Michele

Lisa @ This Mommy Works says:

So cute and you make it look so easy to make!

Stopping by from Singing Three Little Birds…

1. [...] Shirt mit Längsrüschen [...]