Blooming Fabric Flower pin!

Fabric…LOVE IT!
Flowers…Adore ‘em!
Wearing Fabric Flowers….Total ubber love with a cherry on top!

We all know I’m a fan of wearing huge and borderline obnoxious things on my chest! I do it for a few reasons…

a. I love a bold pop of color!
b. It’s sort of my thing…some people get tattoos, wear heavy eye makeup or carry around their little dogs in ventilated Doggy purses… I wear flowers!
c. and lastly….listen closely because I’ll be whispering this deep dark secret…but I wear them to mask the fact that I nurse my babe on one side! Lopsided issues people! Nuff said!

ok…moving on!

These little beauts are simple and easy! Gather the following supplies and get ready to create a fab new accessory just in time for Spring!

You’ll need:

• fabric
  • A needle and Thread
  • Glue Gun
  • Felt
  • Broach Pin
  • Button
  • Cookie cutters or a flower shaped stencil in varying sizes
I used this Wilton Set of flower cookie cutters!

You’ll be using a few sizes of the flower so cut out 4 of each sized flower size that you plan to use! You can do many different layers so get crazy! I ended up doing three different sized layers.

Fold each flower in half and then half again!

Sew the middle together with a few whip stitches in order to keep it from unfolding!

And lastly you’ll start assembling your flower! Cut out a large circle of felt to use as our base! Glue down your largest layer first and then the next largest layer on top of that until you have the flower complete! Finish it off with a button and glue a broach pin on the back!
(sorry for the example change! I forgot to take pics of the blue flower I was working on! Are we still friends!?)

Snazzy eh?

Comments

Thanks for the Tutorial, I Love these flower pins. And they can be pricey, up til now!!
    Nancy
    coeurdalenegifts.blogspot.com

Pretty much LOVE it!

Jaime @ Our Journey says:

I love it! Love, love, love it! That's it … I'm going to start wearing flowers!

ificould says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial- I've been looking for one for a while now. SO cute! I linked this post on my blog http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/03/blooming-flower-pins.html if you want to check it out. Thanks!!
    -Kimi

casserole says:

Awesome!! With springtime coming, I'm starting my search for the perfect "park sewing" project – something portable and relatively easy so I can stitch and watch my daughter at the same time.

I linked to your tutorial out on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    –Anne

Heather Allen says:

It is lovely!! I have some scrap fabric that I have been dying to make something with!!

The Boob Nazi says:

Cookie cutters? That is awesome.

Amylee Adams says:

love it!

The Cottage Look says:

I Wondered how those were made…thanks for sharing it with the world.

I can't wait to try a few.

Love and Kisses

Suzi

Mary Beth says:

Lovely flowers!!!!! I will definitely have to make some! I can think of all kinds of uses for them! Thank you!

Ruth H. says:

I've been wondering how to make these. Thanks for the great instructions! I want to try to make one of these to stick in a ponytail, sometime. (So I look like I"m making an effort, right?)

One Cheap B*tch says:

I really, really, really want to try and make some of these. So pretty! And if you ever notice, JCrew always has the prettiest flower pins in their catalogs – they don't sell them but I always liked them and now I just have to make my own!

You go girl! Nothin' wrong with a big fat flower somewhere on your person. I think they are fantstic and I can't get enough of them either.

Okay, Becca, i'm the least crafty woman i know (i once hot glueded my MOPS craft to our table) but i'm going to try these! I may not post photos of them when i'm done because they may not look like flowers, lol, but we'll see. :)

Thank you for the tutorial…folks like me LOVE tutorials!!

Dreams of Perfection says:

This would be sooo cute as a little girl's hairbow! I love it. Thanks for the tutorial :o)

Red Couch Recipes says:

What a cute, fast and fun idea. I want to make them!

Mary Lou Rutledge says:

How about on a headband?? I'm going to try that. Thanks for the cookie cutter tip!

Katie's Nesting Spot says:

Great idea and tutorial, I've made flowers like that before but have never thought to layer them . Love the tip for the cookie cutter and the extra dimension and fun layers give it.

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} says:

very cute!

thanks for sharing. I love those flowers. Also, thanks for showing them on a denim jacket. I have been curious lately if mine is out of style. If you have one then I think I am okay… it is a favortie in my closet.

Oohh cookie cutters! That's a great idea! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

annandjake says:

So fun. You are so clever. I just made some sugar cookies that I iced using your dipping method you showed with your Valentine's cookies… no one believed I made them! They looked so smooth and perfect! Thanks for the tip!

Sew Savvy By Brandy says:

I think this is fabulous! I can see making these for my hair and adding them to dresses for my little girl! Thank you for the tute!
    Brandy

HollarWood says:

Oh yippy! I was gitt'in tired of making yo-yo's from leftover fabric. I think these flowers are so cute. Thank you for the tutorial my dear.

Wow- these are great! I'd don't have the same issue as you. I think maybe I should wear two big, colorful flowers!! heehee

Thanks for sharing!

Molly @ The Creative Maven says:

These are so great!

Hi Becca,
    I love making and wearing rosettes too.
    Great tutorial.

hugs
    Sissie

Hepworths says:

Those are really cute. I'm going to have to make some now! Thanks!

Allison @ http://www.houseofhepworths.com/

Creative Decor by Brooke says:

Those are darling! I think if I tried real hard I could, maybe, make one. Love them, alot.
    Brooke

Sooo cute! It's going in my project ideas file for sure!

Those are adorable!

I just posted some shamrock ones I made!

flowers says:

WOW!!!! This is stunning! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

LOVE this! I know I can make these!!!

janimal says:

Those are really really really cute. I am definitely going to try my hand at these. I may try velcro on the back, and put velcro on my little girl's jacket so she can wear one and I cen remove before washing (no pin for a toddler). Hopefully not too heavy for that?! Anyway, LOVE IT. THANKS!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft says:

Becca-

This is SO great. I love how easy you made it seem too. I am going to make some of these now. I have been wanting to forever but just seemed like it wasn't as easy as you made it seem. Thanks for sharing with us!

These are so beautiful!! My favorite is the blue and green one :)

Hoosier Homemade says:

Really neat! Love how you used the cookie cutters!
    Thanks for sharing!
    I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!
    ~Liz

Infarrantly Creative says:

You had me a "flower" :-) HUGS Becca!

Ready Set Create says:

L-O-V-E them! There are very few flowers I like enough to make, I'll be trying these tonight! Thanks for the tut!

Apparently cookie cutters are good for more than one thing! These look so cute. I love the color and how you displayed them in your picture! I'm sure they look great on whatever you choose to wear them with…!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence says:

Thanks for linking up! I love that you used cookie cutters for the pattern. The possibilities are endless with different fabrics!

What more can I say??? I'm bookmarking this one!!!

Thanks again for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Pleas join me next week for another great party.

Lori

Very pretty and what a great tutorial. I featured these in my Friday Favorites…http://www.laniejandco.com/2010/03/friday-favorites-31210.html

~Lanie

Miss Adventures says:

These are so fabulous. I wear fabric flowers on EVERYTHING! My favorites so far are scarves and a bright orange beanie. I can't wait to make some with your tutorial!

Katie
    moremisadventures.blogspot.com

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

Very cute! The cookie cutters are a great idea to use as a template!

Thanks again for linking up to Make it Yours day!

Its So Very Cheri says:

Those are so popular. I have seen them all over. The cookie cutter was a great idea.

Thanks for posting to the party.

My favs will be up this evening.

Cheri http://www.itssoverycheri.com

Have you re-signed up to follow me at the new site. If not you won;t get my updates. Blame Google not me-I don't know why they want to keeo my followers-like what are they going to do with them–REALLY.

Anonymous says:

bgshsd

Mommy of Two 24/7 says:

This is so cute!! I'm going to make some of these to match dresses I've made for my daughter to wear in her hair! :)

Thanks so much! I just made one this morning to wear tonight. SO CUTE! It was so fun and made me so happy!

This is great! Whipped it up as a little bracelet/hair accessory for my niece's 5th birthday. I made it with a felt tab at the back, so that it's interchangeable, between ribbons/hair bands, etc!

This is a great tutorial! I made one for a Ariel Dress for a friends trip to Disney and featured it on my blog. Thanks so much.

i absolutely love these! such a great idea!

Ali

aliscreations.blogspot.com

Rosangela Leme says:

I loved it!!! It is bealtiful.

Thanks for tutorial. I loved it.

Val(Brazil)

Anonymous says:

Love the flowers, what a great idea. thank you and well done.

Merci pour ce tuto. Je viens de le répertorier sur mon blog avec un lien direct vers le votre.

Tutorial muito bom! Faço artes com tecido, pinto e bordo. Estou iniciando na arte do Patchwork,básico e simples. Deus lhe abençoe, proteja e ilumine em todos os momentos! Desejo sucesso e muitas felicidades!
    Um abraço com muito carinho e kiss.
    Marize/ DiPatch
    Maceió-Alagoas/BRASIL

Nickole Herrmann says:

I just made this awesome fabric bloom! And it was so easy and it turned out sooo cute!! Thank you so much for sharing!! :)))

I’ve just stumbled across your blog. Oh am so inspired, I have lots of scraps of vintage fabric that I didn’t know what to do with (or how to do anything with). Thank you so much for the inspiration.

lovely ! the folded layers are just what i’m looking for some jubilee corsages. it is all red white and blue in the uk at the moment. thanks for the blog.

Great job Becca! This is my first attempt, so do you glue each flower layer to felt? Thanks!

Very pretty flowers.

1. […] Blooming Fabric Flower Pin These did take a bit more time, but they were so fun to make! I had tons of scrap fabric and it was fun to pick patterns to match and buttons to adorn the middles! It was also exciting to design each flower specifically for one recipient! I love the one I gave my daughter! I’ve used it on her clothing, dresses, diaper bag, and currently it’s being used to dress up the bassinet for her new baby sister! […]