What to do with a BIG ‘ol stack of Jeans!

16 pair of Jeans stared me down! Stacked high on a power trip they taunted me with their obvious usefulness yet they knew I was putting them off…so they used it against me! They tortured me as they cluttered a corner of my closet. I heard their laughter and snickers to each other as they made bets to see if I’d ever make time to tackle them. For months they got away with murder! Got off Scott free as I kept avoiding making eye contact with them. Then… One day in December I showed them who was boss!

Take that you evil stack of Denim Apparel! Who’s laughin’ now!

Thanks to my collection of Jean Castaways and a Hubby’s nearing Birthday, I finally concured the mountain of Denim that set up shop in a corner of my home! I honestly had no desire to make a Denim quilt but when your husband puts up with all your creative CRAP and asks for only ONE thing in return, it’s pretty hard to say no!

Mid summer while shopping at our favorite Discount Store, DownEast Clearance Center, The hubs eyes lit up when he saw all the damaged Jeans! $1 a pair or fill a trash bag for $10! How could he resist! So there a dream was born of a quilt made of Blue! I resisted! I bargained! I rolled my eyes! Yet deep down I knew I had to do it!

So months later I finally sleighed the Dragon and busted out a quilt made with LOVE for the one I love!

Tricks, Tips and Short cuts when making
a Denim Quilt:

• Keep it simple! I cut Long strips down each leg. I used my straight edge acrylic cutting edge and just cut long 5″ wide strips.
  • Lay them out and stagger the strips to create a Hardwood Floor like look! This saves you tons of time and keeps it looking pieced, more modern and fresh.
  • When considering the backing CHEAT!!!! I bought a king size Fleece blanket from Walmart for $19. Fleece is expensive and the amount I needed was going to be way costly and require me to sew together two large panels in order to make it large enough. So to avoid the annoying seam and the cost just go buy a blanket large enough to use as baking! And because it was thick enough I didn’t need to buy any batting either! HUGE cost saver!

Yes!! I was “Wife of the year” when I surprised my man with his very own Denim Quilt! I think he had given up hopes of me ever making it! I kept telling him it was a “Fall Project!” Ok…so it was more of a “Winter Project!” But It’s done! And I never again have to look at that stack of Jeans again!

The End!

Oh Happy Day! I’m being featured over on

Mod Podge Rocks!

for Amy’s new behind the creator series! Come check it out! There is a photo of me spanking Pretzel dough you won’t want to miss! Black mail worthy? YES!

Comments

Yeah! I have a pile o jeans I was intending to use but for what! I thought of making a quilt but was "seeing" squares, I love the strips tip too. Have to get those jeans out and start cutting! Thaks for the idea

That turned out great! I've got a pile on my ironing board that has been sitting there for months (other than when I move them to iron). Hmmm, the possibilities now.

My Mom grew up poor on a farm in southern Kentucky and she told me her Mom used to make quilts out of their old jeans for them to keep warm under. They did get worn out though, so no family heirlooms.

Thanks for the tips, too! Using a blanket is a great idea. Was it hard to sew through all that?

Did you quilt/top stitch the quilt? It looks great! Lynn

LuckyStarErin says:

that's absolutely adorable! I have so many little jeans with holes in the knees from my sons. I love how the different denim washes look together.

I love it!
    I have a big stack of jeans in my closet waiting for some "project" too…. too good of fabric to just get rid of it.
    I made my husband a fleece blanket for Christmas. It was just a last minute idea. I thought he would think it was stupid, but he walks around the house with it and talks about how much he likes it. Who knew!?!?!

I'd love to see a photo of the back… too!
    Melissa

Great job, I love it. Thanks for sharing a great ideal.
    Sandy

I had the twin to your pile. My plan was to make purses and/or totes. But when I moved, they became donations or trash depending on just how torn up they were.
    Sigh.

Angie Neil says:

I LOVE how you make it look like a hardwood floor! VERY neat!!

Come share your quite at my party: Thursday's Treasures!

Very nicely done – and smart move buying the fleece blanket – I'll have to remember that

Sweet Bee Cottage says:

That is so sweet! It looks great and it's from the heart.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking says:

COOL!!

Love it, and how nice to make it for your man.

LOVE the denim quilt! I want to make one actually. I cut up an old pair of my honey's jeans and made myself a square patchwork bag. LOVE IT! So, now I'm going to make a quilt. Might have to steal your idea. Thanks! :)

Oh yeah, I got here from ModPodge Rocks. :)

I have a pile too and have been pondering what to make with them. I really don't need any more quilts or throws at the moment but I may make one anyways! :-) Yours is so cute! Love the strips.

Beth- the mama bee says:

At least the pile wasn't taunting you because they no longer fit! My pile taunts me and says "it's fine, have another chocolate bar… you'll never wear us again! HA" I might go attack them with the scissors right now. thanks!

Love it! Its makes the quilt seem "manly" lol

I loved your bit over at mod podge rocks! It was really nice to get to know you a bit more! Thanks!

My Creative Way says:

Great idea. i just had a baby and gave up hope of ever fitting in my jeans again. I'm going to do this when the next 2 weeks :)

Raychel

Laura Gerencser says:

Awesome!!

looks awesome!

I have one son who doesn't like jeans. I also have two little girls who do. Little girls jeans have adorable designs embroidered on them. I want to make a quilt using them for my girls. Great idea on using a blanket. I like the idea of using strips instead of squares. That might be the inspiration I need. Thanks.

what a cute quilt!

Mommyof2girlz says:

I love this! I have tons of pairs just hanging out…now I know what to do with them. Thanks tons!

FoReVeR WeLcH says:

they make CUTE pillows too! you just cut off the legs, turn them inside out and sew the bottom and top closed….. stuff them through the zipper and walllllah!

Randy asked for a denim quilt like 8 years ago. I started one about 6 years ago. Never finished and I've moved that stack of old jeans to two different homes now!!! It's funny you posted this because Randy's birthday is the end of the month and I finally own a decent sewing machine so I was thinking about finally making it for him. Thanks for the tips.

Very cute and I bet oh so warm. I am hosting my first ever linky party and would love if you would join me!

Ben and Taryn says:

I love it! That is going to be my spring project, my husbands been asking for one for years..oops :) Thanks for the inspiration and good idea of using a blanket…love that!

that is so cool! lucky mike!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage says:

This is totally awesome! And you are one brave woman to tackle it!!

Jenny at Intentionally Me says:

Great job! I love the stripes, the I LOVE YOU and the red border!

Growing up we had a quilt made of Grandpa's jeans. It was heavy and warm!

I'm a Mod Podge addict and I happened upon your site when visiting Mod Podge Rocks:) I read your feature post and I instantly felt a connection. It was almost like I was reading about myself! Looking forward to following your blog. Have a great day my crafty friend!!!

Thank you for linking!! I've always wanted to make a blue jean quilt!

I don't have a pile o jeans, but I want one now. I'll have to start collecting. A friend told me that her denim quilt is THE BEST outdoor blanket EVER. I also love the hardwood design, it's perfect!

My pile of jeans has recently started overflowing—it's been nagging at me to make that outdoor blanket I've been meaning to and started 2 kids ago! Love the panels!

Kimberly Cherrine-Bell says:

Becca, please tell me what you did with all the waistbands from these pants!?????? I am looking for some to work on a project over on my blog…A rug, but in the spirit of recycle only, i am not allowed to Buy any………I know you live close is it presuming too much to ask if your going to use the waists from these..We could work a trade or something…..Please??? Please???

This is beautiful. I made a denim circles quilt, and I have lots of denim left. This is a great idea to conquer my pile of jeans.

So clever and completely impressive!! One of my college room-mates had made a big denim patchwork pillow with her name on it also out of denim and it was quite cute. Excellent use of resources…

It turned out excellent. Great bargin on the jeans.

pinksuedeshoe says:

Love the longer strips. I am totally going to make one! I've been saving jeans since i was 14…. It's now a huge box staring me down :o)

Good job! I did one much like yours, I laid the strips on the diagonal line. Won a blue ribbon!

Great use of the jeans. I've been saving mine (and the kids) for some future project. Love yours. Thanks for sharing.

amylouwho says:

I love the hardwood flooring effect. How heavy is this finished?

Busy Little Quilter says:

That's a great idea! I have a stack of those, too.

Beautiful quilt. My Grandma has been making these for years only she doesn't back them or have any pattern. We all use them for picnics, in the back of our vehicles/trunks, for moving. We all love them even though they are not very pretty. The last one i got from my Grandma wasn't even close to the shape of a square but i used it to lay in the back of my car to protect the interior.

Denise Marie says:

way to go lover girl! my mom and I are doing a curtain treatment for my 10 yr old out of our old jeans and some flannel shirts.

Nicole @ BugaBoos says:

Awesome!! It looks Great!!! What a great gift for your husband, he will be thrilled!

The Persimmon Perch says:

That is a great idea and a great use of all of those old jeans. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Ooh I like that pattern, it looks great! My hubby would like one of these too, I will have to steer him clear of your blog for awhile! :)
    Thanks for sharing with me!
    -Tiff

Kim -today's creative blog says:

that turned out amazing!

::cottageinstincts:: says:

Man you're a creating beast! Love it. Wish I had your motivation and talent :)

Thanks for linking to Mi4M…always enjoy seeing what you've come up with.

yep, those boxes of old jeans are calling! Not just mine and my DH's but the kids too. So, here's the excuse to get moving. I'll prob do a floor/yard quilt with a city scene on the back for the kids.! Thansk

Love it and I love the way you wrote this post! YOU ROCK!