Colored Waffles

A fun tradition we have over here in the Blue Cricket Household is to have Colored Waffles or Pancakes on Special Occasions! Birthdays, Holidays and Important days like ” The First Day of School” all warrant a few drops of Food Coloring and a sprinkle of Powdered Sugar!

My girls LOVE this! They get to pick their color and off we go mixing away! Check out my Belgium Waffle Recipe HERE!!! Super yum and worth the time it takes!

This is one tradition I love as a mom myself! The night before a birthday I have heard little chatter boxes in their beds asking their sister what color she should chose for her Birthday Pancakes! I hope this is something my kids will do with their own little ones down the road.

Traditions! Ummmm! Yummy!

Do you guys have any special traditions your kids look forward to? Do you remember a tradition from your youth that brings a smile to your face just thinking of it! I love hearing what others are up to! Traditions are a favorite topic of mine!!! I’d love to hear some of yours!

Comments

What a great idea. I love traditions!

MadeInCanarias says:

Really cool tradition!

Whimsical Creations says:

What a fun tradition!!

My kids get cupcakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner on their birthdays. They love it. They also get presents throughout the day that usually have some sort of theme. I've enjoyed coming up with appropriate themes for them for each birthday, and surprising them at random times all day long with small gifts.

the thrifty ba says:

growing up, my dad only made pancakes and only on saturday mornings. they were always colored and it was a big deal to be able to pick out the color. i do this with my kids (we dont have pancakes/waffels every week) and hubby thinks it is weird.
    im glad im not the only weird one out there!

What a fun tradition! Yummy!

John & Jennifer Savage says:

Fun tradition! Also, did you post the winner for the giveaway? I didn't know if I was just a nerd and couldn't find it. :)

I do colored pancakes, and make pancakes in the shape of their letter. I also hang curly Q's from the ceiling all over in the kitchen. They're just spirals I cut from colored paper, but they hang down and look very festive. Like you said, I've heard the kids talking before their birthday about getting curly Q's, so even though it's kind of silly I make sure to do it. My mom did it for me, too.

Becca, what a fun tradition!! :) Now…I need to go get me a waffle. Yummy! :) Happy Sunday.

Green, purple, pink, you name it. Dad's pancakes are always more colorful than mom's. The kids love it and he loves doing it for them – all eight! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Austin Lovelys says:

I love this idea! It's so fun and makes them feel oh so special:) I just started a tradition for my daughter for Valentine's day. I make her heart shaped pancakes and a valentine's day present. So that she knows she's special to me too and not just my hubby.;) But I will start this new tradition for their birthdays ;)

Thanks for sharing!!

What a fun tradition! And something your kids will always remember!

Hope you are having a good month so far Becca!

XOXO
    Jen

We always eat banana splits for breakfast on the first day of school. It makes an exciting for some and not so exciting day for others a lot more fun.

Something that my brother heard from a friend is adding carrot puree somehow to the mix. You get more vitamins and a pretty orange color. I need to get the recipe from him, it would be prefect for Halloween.

Natalie Catherine says:

what a great tradition!! love this idea.

Neat! I'm going to make some pink ones in my heart shaped waffle iron for Valentines Day! My 4 yr old will love it! They will be beautiful sprinkled with powdered sugar!

I used to make colored pancakes when i was in High school all because there was a guy in a neighboring town that was named "Blue Pancake" (I found it in the phone book)–No kidding.

I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and without a doubt,
    you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that not enough
    folks are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy I came across this during my hunt for something concerning this.