How To De-Seed a Pomegranate!

‘Tis the season for delicious Pomegranates! If you are anything like me the idea of this Sweet Cold treat is mouthwatering but the effort it takes to enjoy them is daunting and not worth the hassle! And the mess! YIKES!!That was until a few years ago when I learned how to PROPERLY De-seed these tantalizing little gems! Once I learned this easy trick Pomegranate Season put a new spring in my step!

Here’s the”How To” low down on how to prepare a Pomegranate for Proper Consumption!
(I properly consume them by the fist full!)

First you’ll make your one and only cut into the fruit. Cut the top off of your Pomegranate just barely cutting into and exposing the red fruit.

Next you’ll submerge your fruit in a bowl of room temp to cold water.
(Basically whatever cool temp is comfortable for your hands!)

Now you’ll start to pull apart the fruit while you hold it under water. This keeps it from spitting red juice that stains like crazy and causes you to curse in your mind! It also makes it easy to expose the gems and brush them off of their membrane.

Enjoy this little video my 6 year old recorded for your viewing pleasure! Like I said… it was filmed by a 6 year old!

You’ll find that the seeds sink to the bottom of the bowl and the pieces of white membrane float to the top! This makes it super easy to scoop the white pieces out leaving behind just the fruit! Clever huh!

And there you have it! In just a minute or two you will have de-seeded an entire Pomegranate!

And to keep them fresh and easy to enjoy simply drain the seeds and spreed them onto a plate lined with a few sheets of paper towel.Dry them and keep them in an air tight Tupperware container in the Refrigerator.

They will last for over a week if stored correctly but to be honest with you you’ll most likely eat them way before the week is up!!

And if you were wondering how to properly consume a piece of Licorice here’s little Charlie giving a “hands on” demonstration!

Comments

joliesjunebugboutique says:

I love your new Header for your blog! Super cute! I love pomogranates, so I will have to try this method!

Mod Podge Amy says:

Look at your cute little one. :D

I'll have to show this to my brother, he absolutely loves pomegranates!

I was definetly in the catagory of not knowing what to do with these. Thanks for sharing!

Becca – great videos! And thank you! I love pomengranates but always hated the work.
    ~ Jill

great tips!!

i love your header…very cute..

following on google friend connect via followers club MBC…hope you will follow back too..

You are the BEST!! Seriously. We are huge Pomogranate eaters and I am with you on peeling them before learning this. I cannot wait to try it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

I just found you – and I'm so glad I did! After perusing just a couple of posts, I knew I had to follow you. Thanks for offering such great information that I can use!

Thank you, Becca! Wow, we have been doing this the hard way. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

This is GREAT!! I LOVE pomegranates and I have about 30 or more in my garage right now. I'm off to de-seed them:) THanks!

but the seed is still there, right? do u eat the seed or just the stuff around it, and then what do u do with the seed…ive never known what to do with those things

That will makes things much easier for me. I love that fruit but hate the work.

6p00e5500e2b9c8834 says:

Thank you SO much!! I've been doing it wrong forever and can't even eat the fruit before it goes bad because of how long it takes me.

sleepyhead designs studio says:

So glad to know how to do this-I've bought one once and couldn't quite figure out what to do with it.

Barbara Jean says:

Becca,
    Just found out about your Wed meme.
    Where are the rules, and link button to put on our post.

thanks

barbara jean

creativejewishmom says:

Hi Becca, Here's a great recipe I
    came up with for pomegranate fruit salad, enjoy!

One of my friends just told me about this… AFTER we de-seeded about 50 of these babies!! :) Next year! :) Thanks for the demo!

I think that I have been doing this wrong for years. It's always great to learn :) Thanks for sharing!! I LOVE your blog…just found it!

computer accessories says:

Come October and you will find the grocery markets flooded with red ripe Pomegranates everywhere! But have you ever refrained from relishing the soft tiny juicy seeds stored within its thick hard shell only because you did not want to go through the trouble of de-seeding it? Why? There is one more worry often nagging people while de-seeding this delicious-tasting fruit – its juice that might stain the clothes and even countertops.

Thanks for the tip! I think they taste great but are such a pain!

She is too cute :)

jessica blood says:

Tryed it and it worked great thanls for posting

Thankfully Thrifty says:

How helpful!!! I so needed this! Thx!

plumblossomlane says:

Great tutorial. And your camera person did a great job too!
    I've never eaten a pomegranate and didn't know you only eat the seeds inside. Very cool. Will have to try one. How do you know they are ripe???