2010 Here we come!

Resolution Time! I’d like to think of this time of year as a step in the right direction! All to often we set our selves up to fail! Setting endless goals that fulfill one purpose… to make us feel bad when we realize we SUCK at keeping goals! I will say this…three years ago I set a lofty goal for myself. NO MORE SODA!!! And here I sit three years later still Soda free and loving it! So I guess I’m not a total and utter failure every year!

Ok.. back to my rant… So this year I’ve been Inspired. I was sent an email from a reader sharing her New Years Tradition of focusing on a single word as her goal for the Year! A Beautiful tradition. She concentrated on “Simplify!” It meant wonderful things for so many aspects of her life! If she could just concentrate on the word “Simplify” it would change so much!

I loved this idea. I was taken by it simplicity and yet knew it had the potential to do so much. Immediately a word popped into my head and I knew it would be my focus for the year!

Service

Selfishly I need to Serve others. It makes me feel good. It gives me something to do outside of my own personal responsibilities. I easily get lost in my own everyday hiccups I forget to look outside and see where I could better be utilized!

So I got so excited about the thought of focusing on a single word I had a hard time just picking one. Oops! Can you tell my other word is not going to be “Simplify!” I’m not there yet!

So this year I’d like to focus on three words or concepts if you will…

Service
Home

Following Through will be a good one for me! I have endless good intentions but following through on them is the hard part…like doing laundry! Yeah…that whole process from start to finish takes me like 5 days! From now on…”Follow Through” will haunt my subconscious! A single days task! Can you imagine!

Planing, projects, activities! So many things that clutter my mind and my space will finally get the attention they so deserve!

Home! I need to work harder to make my Home the warmest most welcoming refuge my family will ever know! I need to make more of an effort to focus on it’s purpose. To comfort those who dwell in it’s rooms and inspire love and safety! To me that means editing the STUFF that I once called necessities and filling it instead with loving reminders of the things that are really important. It also means focusing on meal time, traditions, order and family.

So there you have it! My “New Years Resolution!” This year I plan on devoting much of my energy on Serving others, Following through on the intentions I make and creating a Home that is a Haven!

If you were to pick one word for your New Years Focus what would it be?

Comments

I LOVE this! You've inspired me. I too want and need to serve others this year. Nothing makes a heart more happy … and there are days that I REALLY need that:-)
    Thanks for a great post and not mentioning 'weight loss' :-)

I think you will have a great year focusing on that!

I did this last year and I have a new word for this year. It really does help to keep the focus. Great words…have a wonderful year.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

Have a great New Years!

Homer Family says:

I love this idea. I think that my word would be PRAYER. I need that so much right now and I think it will help me in so many aspects of my life.

I started this last year (inspired by Ali Edwards blog) and really did find that the word helped me keep my focus.
    My word for this year is going to be LIVE. As in living in the moment, being happy with where I am. Not waiting for things and events to occur before I decide to enjoy my life or try out new things or whatever it is I'm putting off. And living in the here and now.
    Happy New Year!

Brenda @Cozy Little House says:

I think my word shall be "relax." I'm one of those frenetic types that has to be busy all the time. And seldom take the time to just enjoy. In my garden amongst nature's beauty, I take that time. But once in my house I think of a million things I have to do right now! So I think I shall stop throughout my day and utter one peaceful word to myself: Relax. And for good measure: Enjoy.
    Brenda

I love this idea – having just moved twice then going straight into the holidays I am worn out by all I've had to do and by all that remains undone. Maybe before midnight I can come up with just one word – and not have it be DIET.

Thank you for sharing the idea ~ Sherry

that is such a wonderful concept and you have chosen some truly meaningful ideas – happy new year

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

My focus is going to be "Truth." I want to be more authentic.

Thanks for serving us so many great ideas! Happy New Year!

I started the "one word" tradition last year, myself. It was "Appreciate" and this next year it is going to be "Listen". Meaning more than just hearing. I really need to listen better.

computer accessories says:

Reflecting on 2009, a year of maintenance and frugality, hardships and reevaluation, not without a few bright spots and minor triumphs. Celebrate what is good in your life now, have hope in the positive that will come, and have faith in your resolve, having survived an inauspicious year.

This is a spectacular way to really focus on one word that can change your life!! Thanks so much for this idea!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

little mama says:

Seriously, I'm amazed that everywhere I turn today I read this idea. And I just decided to do the same thing earlier this week. LOVE it!
    So, last year I let myself get into the habit of having a bit of a bad attitude. Because of that, I decided to declare 2010 the year of HAPPY!
    I even made a new little blog to document my adventures in happy, because I do want it to be an adventure! I want to stretch myself and grow and learn and make my life a little better.
    Good luck with your service. What a beautiful theme!

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster says:

Your post really struck a chord with me. I love the follow through part of it. I had though of my focus being on "others" this year–same as your service. I think I too will add Follow Through with my motto.
    Happy New Year.
    Blessings,
    Nancy

Kimberly Cherrine-Bell says:

even though we have done service for years it has always been random and spuratic..This year we are looking at trying to get a group of ladies together to sew for a local group in SLC that does charity boxes for others…so if anyone reads this and would like to get in on the ground floor to sew for others and you live in SLC area let me know…you don; have to know how we will help you learn.