Magic Halloween Bag

Magic Halloween Bag!!!

One of my roommates in College has a wonderful family tradition! After Trick or Treating her kids leave their Halloween candy on the front porch and “Magically” it turns into a prize in the morning! I fell in love with the idea!!! I can’t stand all the candy after the holiday! There is just too much! So I am adding to this fun tradition and I have created a “Magic Halloween Bag” to put the candy in! You could also simply make this bag for Trick or Treating! It beats the Pillow case I always used as a kid! They are just so darling!!!

Let’s get started…

For this project you’ll need a variety of Halloween Fabrics. I bought 7 prints all 1/4 of a yard. You will also need a yard of a fabric for the lining of the bag. I bought my fabric at Walmart and all together it only cost me $6

Cut each print in strips the width of the fabric. Vary your strip size for a fun random look.

Lay your cut strips out alternating the colors and prints and create your pattern. Start sewing the strips together until they are all sewn together!

Press this finished section with an Iron.

I used Ric Rack and other ribbon and added then throughout the strips. I sewed mine on with a zig zag stitch!

Now we are going to sew the finished section onto the lining of the bag. Be sure to place the striped section face down onto the lining fabric and pin it in place.

Sew the fabrics together leaving a small opening where you will then turn the bag right side out!

Press again with an Iron.

Adding the drawstring is easy! Lay a piece of ribbon that is longer then the width of the bag onto the top of the bag. Fold over an inch of fabric and pin in place!

Sew a straight stitch to encase the ribbon.

Fold the bag in half with the stripes on the inside and sew the sides together leaving the top open. Be careful not to sew the drawstring closed.

Turn it right side out and there you go!!!

I made up a Poem to go along with our new family tradition of trading in our candy! I will print it out on fun Halloween Paper and laminate it and then attach it to the drawstring.

It’s always fun to Trick or Treat!
With lots of yummy things to eat!

Like M & M’s and Licorice,

Handfuls from a candy dish!
But all that candy can’t be great!
It might give you a tummy ache.
So toss it in,
And close it tight!
And when you go to sleep at night
This magic bag has a surprise!
It turns your candy into a PRIZE!

Comments

Anne - mommyhastowork says:

I love that idea! I, too, hate all that candy after. I wonder if my 9 year old will go for it?

I am so excited to try this. With my parents being divorced, my two year old and 7 month old get spoiled by three grandmas all the time. This is especially on holidays. I want them to appreciate the special times they actually get candy and this is excellent to start with while they are young. Thanks, Amanda
    P.s Do you just throw the candy away, or turn it into something else? (sorry so long:)

I love this idea!

Crafts and Deals says:

What a great idea! The bag is too cute!!

Rebecca D. says:

Amanda…

Well save a little of it! We will actually let the girls keep a weeks worth to enjoy and we'll hide the stuff we want! Wink wink!!! I have a fun cookie recipe that includes candy pieces that I'll use some of it for!

I know what you mean about grandparents spoiling kids! I hope this helps!

That is just too darling! Great poem writing skills too!

I read about this the other day. A fun idea to get rid of unwanted Halloween candy. ;) http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=188&cntnt01returnid=15

Jennifer @ The Craft House says:

This is an awesome idea! The bag is just too cute, also! I am a big fan of buying Wal-Mart fabrics for quick, small projects! (I think that they are phasing out the crafts section, though, but I am not positive.)

If you do not mind, I would like to include this post in my Posts of the Week post due out on the 25th! :)

-Jennifer

Austin Lovelys says:

I love this!!! It sure looks prettier than a pillow case! LOL. I love all your great ideas :)

Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca D. says:

Jennifer… link away!Feel free to post any of my projects and just link back here!! I would love that!

becca

So if I go ahead and put all of my candy in here and go to bed like a good girl, in the morning I'll have a prize?

I'm so in on this one.

I hope I get yards and yards of imported fabrics from Italy.

If not, then I'll settle for the OPI holiday collection.

Great idea Rebecca! Just wanted to thank you again for the Heather Bailey fabric. It arrived at least a week a go, but my computer has been down and cetain internet sites are blocked at my work, so this is the first opportunity I've had to thank you!

I found your blog the other day and thought this was such a great idea! The candy overload is always so ridiculous and this is such a creative and fun solution! I linked up to you tonight. =)

I love the idea! I love the fabric! I love the bag! Thanks for sharing… I may just have to steal – er – adopt this idea as a family tradition of mine! :)

That is such a fun idea! I've never heard of this tradition before but I love it. It's so smart. Thanks so much, I'll be linking to this.

Anonymous says:

What a sad waste of candy:(

I am featuring this on my blog today! I love it!