Halloween Ornaments

Are you guys ready for a little Halloween fun?

Introducing….

Halloween Hangy thingy-ma-bobs!!!
(a.k.a. Halloween Ornaments!)

Are they too much fun or what!!!!

I was introduced to Paper Mache Christmas ornaments from my Cousin! I thought to myself “Self! Wouldn’t these be perfect for any Holiday!?!” For sure!!

Some whimsical painting and Halloween colors make
these little guys Spookerific!

Here’s the “How To” low down…

What you’ll need:

• Those glass ornaments I’m sure you can find in your Christmas stash! If you need to go get some check your thrift stores first! I picked up a 24 pack for 50 cents!!! SCORE!
  • A newspaper
  • The magic Craft necter MOD PODGE
  • Paint
  • Patience…the painting can take a while!
  • Wire for hanging
  • Beads for added touch!

1. Get your balls ready! (trying not to laugh over here!)
  2. Take newspaper and rip it in to thin strips. If you rip from the top of the page to the bottom it rips super smooth and even. HINT!!The thinner the strips the smoother the paper will lay. Strips should be about 1/4″- 1/2″ thick.
  3. Mix 1 part water with 1 part Modge Podge! Enough to submerge your paper in.
  4. Dip each strip into the MP mixture being sure to get it completely wet. Using your fingers wipe off excess mixture.

5. Start wrapping the wet paper strips onto the ornaments.
6. Continue wrapping paper strips and be sure to get the lip of the bulb that holds the top hanging thing.
7. Cover all of your ornaments completely.
8. Hang them to dry over night!

Once they are completely dried you can start to get crazy and paint your heart out!
Get creative with your designs and patterns!
Add glitter and gems to add sparkle or cut out Halloween images from Scrapbook paper and MP them on! The possibilities are endless!

Add wire and beads if you plan on hanging them! I have mine hanging on door knobs and cupboard knobs throughout my house. You could also display them in a bowl
or basket or jar just as they are!

Comments

Philip, Melissa, & Summer says:

Oh My! I love these, especially that purple and green striped one. How cute. I don't think I would have a steady hand enough to get the stripes all the same like yours though. And the little tiny black stitch marks!

Great job. I love them.

Melissa

What a great idea! I have added you to my file box at thecraftersfilebox.blogspot.com.

Thanks for sharing!!

Crafts and Deals says:

So cute!!! Thanks for showing us how to make them!!!

what a great idea.

Crafty Mom says:

I love, love, LOVE this idea! What a great way to make custom Christmas ornaments, too. And it's a great way to make those glass ornaments childproof!

Rebecca that is such a GREAT idea!!! How do you come up with all these wonderful ideas???!!!???

I absolutely love these! They are a great inspiration and could be altered in design for almost any holiday! Imagine Valentines, or the Fourth of July! XD

Maggie Krafts says:

The Halloween ornaments are so cute. I especially like the orange and black ornament with the "paisley" effect.

Being the good listener that I am, I went directly to the scrapping store up the road to find papers to MP on. Or elements from the papers. I would not DARE to disobey you!

Drats if they were very low on Halloween papers already! I'll just bet all them Anthem Ladies went in droves to the store after reading your crafty blog post….too bad I didn't beat them there.

Because there ain't no way I'm going to be patient enough to paint designs! (Just being honest. I wouldn't lie to you either!!) Maybe I can do something like this for easter if I start now-then it won't really be patience so much as stamina. Right?

EIther way, it really is a darling idea. You are so smart, all the time.

Those are really cute!

These are just deeelightful! I love them…
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

rocknrolla says:

hey becca! i linked to your tutorial on my blog she's crafty. it will post on friday morning. thanks for the GREAT idea!!! leigh austin-

Rebecca D. says:

thanks rocknrolla!I can't wait to see the post!

~Kimberly says:

Those are too fun! Wish we weren't all packed up and on our way to VA so that I could decorate for Halloween with a set of my own! Love them! Thanks for sharing!

:::b r a n d i::: says:

I so have to make some of these!!! CUTE!

I am so doing this it aint even funny! :)

Carter's Creations says:

These are darling! I love them all, but that purple and green striped one is my favorite! I have now found another creative person to follow! Thanks for your ideas and willingness to share them!

Ann Hatch says:

Love the skeleton ornament. My boys call them boney-heads. Love it!

cute. i like the orange and black and the purple and green.

wandering nana says:

Such a cute idea. I love the purple and green striped one too. definitely will try these babies next year.

Those are so cute … I love the orange one with swirls. I'll have to try your tutorial … thanks for sharing.

Laura @ TheMeckleys says:

SUPER cute!

I am SO in love with this project!!

Yikes…this is the problem with blogs…I want to do everything I see! LOL I'm adding this one to my list for sure!!

I am so makeing these for my little halloween counter top tree!
    thanks for sharing!

Sophia Luksana says:

WOW! They're so beautiful! My friend and I decorated a Christmas tree with glass ornaments. We have never thought about Halloween ornaments. We will give it a try. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I've done craft works and posted on http://www.makemania.com Hop on to promote your blog and take a look at what I've made!