School Spirit!!!

I could not resist! I had to post this one today!!!!

I wasn’t surprised when I went to buy my tiny Kindergartner a School Spirit Shirt and they handed me a HUGE, Ugly, Boxy, Boy lookin’ excuse for School Pride!!!

Do they not know girls attend too!!! And heaven forbid a box of XXS OR XS Shirt are ordered!

Well have no fear little learner! Mama did what she does best and
whipped that baby right into shape!!! LITERALLY!!!

Spirit Shirt REVAMP:
Adding a little feminine style to an over sized dud!

First lay your shirt out and cut up the sides. I eye balled how much I would need to take it in when I had her try it on.

Trim the sleeve off at the seam. The Sleeve on the left have been trimmed. Put theses aside…

Use a straight pin to mark off how high you need to sew up the sides. I shortened the arm holes on this shirt to make it fit better.

Reverse the shirt so now the RIGHT sides are facing in.

Sew up each side using a stitch with a stretch. Sew up to the pin marking off the length needed.

Ok… Back to the sleeves. Cut the seam off that makes the sleeve a tube. Turn the shirt right side out. ( Ignore the fact that I still have mine inside out in the photo… I realized my mistake AFTER the fact!!! Oops!!) Starting in the arm pit, pin on the opened sleeve. Be sure to leave 1/4″ section so you can sew the sleeve back together once it’s on the shirt.

Before you pin it on all the way, take the other end of the sleeve that you have been pinning on and pin it on the back side of the sleev opening. We are trying to leave extra space on the top because we’ll be adding some pleats to create a puckered sleeve top.

Pin in a few pleats. Now sew the sleeve on using a stitch with a stretch.

Sew the sleeve opening back together making it a tube again.

To add the ruffle in the sleeve, hand wind elastic thread onto your bobbin and straight stitch a ring near the edge of the sleeve. You will then pull the elastic tighter to make it ruffle. Tie it off and now you have a cute girly sleeve!!!
I also added a small strip of elastic to the sholders to pull it in and give it a little pucker.

WAY BETTER Right!!!!!!! This last picture was taken at 6:30 this morning so pardon the sleepy eyes!! We still have kindergarten excitement over here and wake up at the crack of dawn!!!

And that’s about it!! A little School Spirit for a Girly Girl!!!!

We’ve got SPIRIT! YES we do!We’ve got SPIRIT! How about YOU!!!!

Comments

I miss that little Mace!!!

Way to go- that is so cute! I will be sending you Leah's shirts for sure.

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training says:

In the words of Tim Gun way to “Make it Work”. That’s such a great idea! I’m sure she will be the talk of the pep rally.

Wes and Dani says:

Wow that is one awesome re-vamp! I will make sure to do that to my kids shirts (when I have kids, lol) because I know I always hated wearing the ugly stupid school pride tshirts that were 3 sizes too big!

Dani
    craftrookie.blogspot.com

That is that is the best idea ever! It turned out so cute! Wish I could sew better.

My daughter would LOVE me to do that to her shirt! She is 5 and hates that it looks like a boy t-shirt. I don't know if I am that crafty with a sewing machine though. I might give it a try with one of my son's old school shirts first!

What a cute idea.

I'm not a sewer, so what you did is nothing short of miraculous!!

That is soooo cute.

That is a GREAT idea! You're a genius

Tattered Goods says:

You ROCK!!! My Mom is the sewer in our family and I know she can do this type of re-do… however she is not as enthused as you are, I need several things done like this and she just needs to get them altered and over with ;) you are a true INSPIRATION! Enjoy your day.

Sheila

Bizee Fingers says:

Love it! What a great re-vamp!!

Very cute! Love it. Looks alot better than the "nightgown" look it had going beforehand!

Brandon & Natalie says:

I love that – it's so genius!!! I have a million of those box t-shirts for myself and my kids – ugly shirt no more :)

Thank you & I love your blog!!!

You did it again!

Can I send my girls over and you can be their mom?

My poor girls have to wear there boxy, boy shirts 'cause I'm not as talented as you!

Love that!

Great idea!!! :)

Once again you astound me. How cute and girlie you made it. You are such an awsome mom and sooooo creative. WOW!!

awesome job on the shirt! I would be way to scared to even attempt that, for fear that I would massacre the shirt!

Brilliant, BRILLIANT I say!

That is so, so cute and stylish! I love it! I'll be linking.

I've been meaning to do this to my daughter's school shirt since Kindergarten. She's in 4th grade now and it's still HUGE and weird. You've re-inspired me.

Amy M in Indiana says:

Love this! Great inspiration for my 2nd grade daughter's boxy school shirt!!

Best Craft Blog says:

This is such a great idea! Why didn't I think of that…ha ha ha. It makes it so much cuter and I bet she will be the envy of all the other little girls=) Love it. I will have to remember this one!

Anne

What a great idea. I only have boys but would SO do that if I didn't. I just sent my 1st grader to school today in his poncho…I mean school spirit shirt…I guess I should not complain. The new principal ordered one for every kid, but still…i am with you on a box of smaller shirts!

the shirt looks great. i've never done elastic thread, so i don't know if i can pull that off or not. you're so talented!

Andy Porter says:

What a lucky girl she is to have such a crafty momma! I LOVE what you've done. The puckers are too cute. You always have such great ideas!

Busy Little Quilter says:

Great idea!

Brilliant idea! My daughter will be thrilled if I do this to her shirts.

BKicklighter says:

This might seem elementary . . . what is a "seam with a stretch"? Also, the elastic thread? I've never heard of that. Do you use regular thread as the top stitch and the elastic is just in the bobbin? I LOVE this idea – my little Kindergartener is very little – but am a beginner at sewing. HELP! J.bkicklighter at sbcglobal dot net

Anonymous says:

I am doing research for my college thesis, thanks for your useful points, now I am acting on a sudden impulse.

- Kris

Tina Goates says:

I have a very strong willed 4 year old that REFUSED to wear her school shirt on Friday’s like the rest of her preschool. She would scream that she looked like a boy, and quite honestly – I didn’t blame her! I remembered this post that I had seen years ago and thought it was worth a shot. It took me less than an hour and now I can’t get it off of her! THANK YOU for saving the day (and my sanity)!!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting
    for your next post thanks once again.