Cart Caddy:TUTORIAL

This was born out of absolute frustration and Insanity prevention ! Last week while shopping, I was so fed up with losing my coupons, having to pry the slobbery remains of a coupon out of my baby’s mouth and simply not having enough hands while I shop! My shopping
excursions are a mess!!!! If you were ever to see me shopping with three kids in tow you’d most likely find two out of three of ‘em crying and the other covered in chocolate chip bribery!

Well…Problem solved!!!!
(at least the coupon part of my problem! Let me know if you have a wonder
solution for the kid melt downs!)

Photobucket

I came home to create this Coupon Catch all for my Shopping cart!
It has two pockets! One to hold my Coupon Organizer and one to store the coupons I will be redeeming! And if you’re not a coupon shopper it’s the perfect little helper to hold
your bottled water, emergency candy bar you opened 15 min. into your visit and cell phone while you graze aisle after aisle!

Aren’t they A-DOR-A- BLE!!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Let’s dive in….

Here is what you’ll need…

Two complimentary pieces of Fabric. I used FAT QUARTERS.
Stiff interfacing
Coordinating Double Folded Bias Tape
Pins or stapler
Ruler

STEP ONE: Measure and cut your fabric and Interfacing 18″ x 18″

I found that by stacking them and then cutting them made the process faster and easier. Lay it out just how it will be sewn….a fabric with RIGHT side facing down, then interfacing, then fabric with RIGHT side facing up.

STEP TWO: Now we will be cutting out a section of your 18″ square to create the Caddy straps. Using a ruler and pen mark off the following measurements and cut through all three layers creating straps that measure 7″ long x 3″ wide.

STEP THREE: Use straight pins to secure the three layers together. I prefer using a stapler . It lays flatter and the staples are easy to remove.

STEP FOUR: Adding the bias Tape.

You will first need to sew an 18″ strip of Bias tape to the bottom section of the caddy.

STEP FIVE: Fold the bottom section in half leaving about a 1 1/2″ gap. This is creating your pocket. be sure to be aware of the fabrics. You will determine what fabric shows most so chose wisely which way you fold. Secure with pins or staples.

STEP SIX: Now it’s time to add the Bias Tape around the edges. Start at a top of a strap in it’s middle. Pin it on if that will help you keep it straight. Sew it on using a straight stitch. Corners Can be pinned or stapled to help them line up right. The inside corners are tricky. Sew around it completely being sure to fold your tape at the very end so you don’t have a raw edge.

STEP SEVEN: Sew a straight stitch line in your pocket making a second section in your pocket. You can determine how big you want each section. Also you may want to add another stitched line to make a pen pocket.

STEP EIGHT: Lastly we will be adding Velcro.

Cut two 1 3/4″ strips of Velcro. Separate the pieces and sew them onto the straps. Sew one on the top of the strap and the other at the bottom of the strap where it meets the pocket section.

And that will do it!!!!

Your very own Cart Caddy ready to make your life that much easier!!!!!

As easy as this looks it takes about an hour to sew. The bias tape can be tricky. I must have bough a pack that was ironed weird becasue mine was hard to get it to keep straight.
Just take your time!

Comments

Stephanie says:

I just might have to try this…

Wahoo!

Mommyof2girlz says:

Great tut, Stopping by from MBC Follow Me Club to follow and say hello :)

Thank you….you didn't have to share your secret – very sweet & generous!!

Lisa B.

Embellished Bayou says:

Thank you for sharing this, so generous of you! I can't wait to try it out.

Okay, I made one yesterday after you posted this (although mine looks a little ghetto…I just used some random fabric scraps), now I can't wait to go to the store and use it!
    Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks sooo much for posting the tutorial! I've made two so far. I had never used bias tape before and had a little trouble with my first one on the corners. I found this link if anyone is in the same boat. http://www.wrights.com/wrights/class/sewing/doublefoldbias/doublefoldbias.htm
    My second one turned out so much better after reading this.
    One other thing I did was clip the bottom corners of the interfacing to cut down on the bulk after you fold up to make the pockets. I had trouble getting through all the layers on the first go round. Maybe I was using really thick interfacing or something.

Thanks again! This is a brilliant idea and I'm so happy you shared!!

fashionfrugality says:

I LOVE THIS! I can't wait to try it! Thank you so much!

stapling is SUCH a great idea! thank you for the pattern, and for such an excellent tip!

That is seriously cute and genius! I never would have thought of that, but now I'll have to make one!

Wes and Dani says:

I saw this over at Infarrantly Creative. I didn't realize this was YOUR idea! I LOVE that there is a tutorial and I don't have to make it up like I thought I was going to have to… :(

Thanks!
    Dani

Always Inspire says:

I absolutely LOVE this! What a brilliant idea, thanks for taking the time to make a tutorial!

stephjacobson says:

Thanks for sharing your tutorial–I'm going to try and make one. I'm a huge fan of using coupons, and this will keep me much more organized.

That has got to be the cleverest thing I've seen in a while! I can't wait to make one. Thanks for the tutorial :)

Sabrina @ Twiggles and Trunks says:

dude! that's awesome. bookmarked it, thanks!

sweetpicklesandchocolate says:

That's great and darn handy too! Thanks for sharing your ingenuity!

Dena

Andy Porter says:

What a cool idea! That might make me even pick up a coupon or two…imagine that. I love your fat quarters. Thanks so much for linking!
    ~Andy@Poppies@Play

How incredibly creative! You go girl! I neeeed one of those :) I think I will have my mom make me one…can't sew to save my life…lol! Thanks for sharing!

Anneliese Dickman says:

Great gift idea! I'm going to sew in magnets, rather than use velcro, so it can be hung on the fridge between shopping trips.

AWESOME!!! I wonder for newbies like me, if I could do this w/o the Bias? I JUST got a sewing machine and know the BASICS. Could I do this wrong sides together, turn rightside out and then stitch up the pocket? I'm worried about Bias since I've not gotten to that yet!

That is just awesome. I think I am going to have to make this…..for about 5 of my friends who are all coupon crazies. They would love this.
    I am featuring this on my blog on the 7th.

Tierra
    pebblesandpoppys.blogspot.com

FlipFlop Mom says:

I can't WAIT to try and make one of these…. THANK YOU for sharing!!

Love this. I will make for my friends(seniors with dementia) that use walkers. I suggest that the velcro be sewn on before adding the seam binding for a cleaner and more secure finish. I will use oilcloth because it is easier to keep clean.

Karen (Canadian Soldier's Wife) says:

Fabulous!!! I just posted the link to this over on SmartCanucks – we're all coupon-happy over there. LOL

This is a great tutorial!! Thank you!! I have never used interfacing or bias tape before. I would love to see a little tutorial on how to do the corners with the tape…mine turned out a little funky. LOL Also, I don't think I bought the right interfacing…I guess it's not stiff enough because my caddy sort of sags when I add my coupon holder. Any tips to fix it? I will probably just deal with it…or find something to sew onto the back maybe. Anyhow…thanks so much for this!

• 26

Maybe just slip a piece of cardboard in the pockets for a little more stability? Maybe cut a piece from a cereal box or something and give it a try.

Lindsey says:

What a great, practical thing! lol I made one for myself and use it everytime I go shopping. Thanks for the great instructions!

Kathern (in Ohio) says:

Thank you for posting the measurements and instructions! I really could use one of these (instead of a battered envelope) and am looking forward to making one in the morning!

I definately could use one of these. I, likemany other moms I'm sure, pull out the coupon I'm going to use. Then either stick it one on the seat of the shopping cart or in the car seat with the baby. And then end up losing at least one of them. What a great idea!

This is so cute! I think the worst part about couponing is losing coupons.. and I think I could eliminate that by using this. I have a great friend that I coupon with and I'm totally making this for her for Christmas. Thanks for the great idea.

-Sylvia
    Propane Burners

Great idea! Why didn't I think of this? I like the idea of using oilcloth for cleanliness. Scotch Guard or iron-on vinyl would work also. I think I'll add another pocket or maybe a clip for the coupons that have been "used".

Pretty Things by Laura H says:

I have made your fabulous Coupon Caddy and have a picture of it on my blog. I made it with a fun retro print. I hope you like it! Thank you!

Cannot believe I didn’t find this sooner. Thank you so much for sharing. Just thought I would share mine with you. I added some flower embellishment’s because I am a girly girly:) Hope you like it! Thank you.

Love your creativity!

This is such a great idea for teacher’s gifts for the end of the school year and for Christmas gifts as well. Great idea!

I love the coupon holder. Can’t wait to get home and make one. I make something like it out of placemats for walkers. Thanks so much.

I love this! After a mommy meldown tonight, after my shopping experience with my 10 month old…well lets just say I should have looked at this before going :) Appreciate you taking the time to share this idea! I think I will try this, but instead of staples using the magic tape they sell for fabric.

This is genius! I have a big coupon binder I shop with. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought “I need someplace to put my coupons that I’m going to be using!” I can’t wait to make this!! Thank you so much for sharing!

You are soo smart! thanks. my granddaughter is a coupon maniac and has a year old baby. I think I’ll put a flap over the pocket so lil Ellie can’t get her chocolate covered hands on coupons and others can’t lift out valuables.

I LOVE this! You had me laughing with your description of “the slobbery remains of a coupon”…LOL how well I remember those days.

teressa says:

This is the best Idea so many times do I need a place to put my coupons while I am digging for more or making sure I have the ones I need. This just got put to the top of my to do list.

Thank you for this!!! I am totally with you on the slobbery coupons!! Having my crafty friend make me one asap!

Love this idea and gonna start making some for presents!

Easy peasy! This was my first try using bias tape, simple to make, what a super idea. thanks for sharing

Arlene Anders says:

Great idea, going to make one for myself. If it goes ok make some for Christmas gifts. Thanks

Helen Krietemeyer says:

I’m trying to make a copy of these instructions. Can you help me? Thanks

Such a cute idea! Where did you get the blue floral fabric? It is sooooooo pretty.

thank you, I’m going to make it longer & turn it into a walker bag – much better pattern than the ones I’ve seen so far.

I’m going to make these for my elderly folk that use walking frames. I’ll make them a bit bigger though so they can get a bit more in. Great idea, thanks.

Lea-Marie says:

How to keep the kid(s) quiet . . . I have talked to screaming children in stores just like I talk to my cats — very soft, warm and loving. Almost a silly voice. The child(ren) shut up and are mesmerized by the different tone of voice. A healthy reward for reacting positively to this “silly cat talk” will reinforce the desired behavior. Learned from a psychiatrist back in the 70s when my own son was a kicker and screamer in the cart. Hope this helps. And, thanks for the great pattern and well-taught tutorial. It looks like you are using a Bernina. Only Berninas have the white solid plastic piece on the “face” of the feet so one can see the eye of the needle. Love those Swiss engineers!

Jamie W. says:

OHMAGOSH!!!! I need this yesterday! Actually, many yesterdays before. Thank you so much for this idea and yes, it IS adorable. I’ll be the envy of all the poor unorganized shoppers. LOL!

I am going to use this on the bar on my bike. I always have keys and garage door opener to carry. So this will work good. Thanks for the idea!

Maria Lucas says:

Great idea!
    Congratulations! I’start mine this afternoon

Super cute idea… However…rather than staples to hold the fabric together (which you either have to take out…or have them rust / perhaps show through, etc) consider Wonder Clips. The are miniature clothes pins. ..come in very small which are 1″ (perfect for this project) or larger 2″…. I wondered if I would ever use them..and once you have them, you find lots of sewing ways to use them.

I am going to try this project today, but use Annie’s soft and Stable as my stabilizer…gives shape…and perhaps a zipper…I don’t know… you have given the fodder to expand on an idea. Thank you!

Nalini Murthy says:

Great and useful tutorial. For those who may find using bias binding a little daunting, heres a suggestion.

Use anr iron on interface and fix it to one of the cloths on the wrong side., but cut it a half inch shorter all around.
    Now turn the two cloth pieces right sides facing, and stitch all round, leaving a four inch opening at the bottom straight side for turning the cloth inside out. Slightly trim the strap corners and make small nicks at the strap inside angles for ease in turning. Now gently pull the straps through the opening and turn thr project inside out. Iron out the surface and fold up the bottomas per the design. You can now simply make a zig zag or decorative stitch all round or make two rows of straight stitches in a contrast colour as a design element The pockets can be stitched down similarly. This way you eliminate the bias binding step.

This is just what I needed for my coupons I had to make it as soon as I seen it, I will be using it all the time thank you so much for sharing it!

This is a great idea, however, you need to re-check your measurements. I went to go and make this to what you wrote and the size did not come out right. The 1 1/2 inch pocket was not enough to hold anything. It is a great tool to use but the measurement is a little off.

I needed this and will try it real soon. I can see why it is a hit what a great way to us up scraps Frances