Before and Afters:It doesn’t take a lot of $$$ to get a look you love!

An $8 book shelf and some scrap fabric and $3 curtain rods make this project a steal at $11. I just used some paint from my collection!

It’s safe to say this piano project has been my largest undertaking! I found it used on line in our local classifies and all in, after buying it, paying for it to be moved twice, and supplies , this project cost a grand total of about $350… I say that’s pretty fantastic for a working, charming, one of kind piano and piece of furniture! I’ll spend more on piano lessons to learn how to play it!

This dresser I scored from a tiny store that was packed to the ceiling with random stuff. I payed $15 for it and it quickly made a home for itself in my heart and in my dinning room as our beloved buffet!

Yard sales at there best result in great finds like this! This Pottery Barn coffee Table came with a side table as well. I paid $25 for both! I used a crackle finish and now have this totally fun, random blue table in my family room! The best part of using a crackle finish is it makes the wear and tear my kids put on it look intentional! Gotta’ love that!
This project was a blast! I had to gut the entire inside of the bottom section so I got to use a saw and a little elbow grease to get this charming storage unit! I used the removed drawers to make ribbon organizers…I’ll post that fun project soon!! total cost: $20

I wish I had a before picture but I don’t… I was an average oak desk begging for a little love! $40 get’s you a lot when you put in the time and effort!The hunt is half the fun! I love yard sales, thrift stores and online ads! I look at furniture with a whole other eye. Everything has potential!

Here is my basic guidelines when it comes to my refinishing projects:

• has to be a quality piece to begin with!Sturdy and solid and no veneer!
  • buying Oops paint,or what they call mistint paint is always a great way to cut cost! You can buy mistint paint for $1-$5
  • Oil based primer will save you from having to sand down your project when you fist go to paint it!!! One coat of primer is all you need!
  • take before and afters! You’ll never believe how ugly a piece started out as once you finish it!
  • A good antique glaze always adds depth and texture! It’s my favorite! I never just paint a one flat treatment! I love personality in my pieces and glazes, crackles and rubs will add just that!

This is the perfect time of year to try your hand at a refinishing project! So hit up yards sales this weekend and get busy!

Comments

These all look sooo good. I have a new kitchen table and chairs from Randy's brother that we want to refinish. It totally intimidates me though. I may be calling you soon for more pointers.

Stephanie says:

what about bed bugs! lol!

you seriously amaze me! and the best part is, when what you have done goes out of style, you can totally re-do it all over again! love it love it…

You are sooooo good at this! I might be brave and try a project this summer…but I'm calling you when I get stuck! Hope you guys are good. :)

Melissa says:

Okay Rebecca, I NEED to know how you did the piano! We have an old piano that needs some major TLC. How did you go about finishing it? Everything I've read says you need to take the whole thing apart and do it piece, by piece. Any tips or advice? I love all the amazing work you do!

Little Lovables says:

great job!

just found your blog and I love the redone furniture. I recently discovered the Goodwill Outlet store in my area and couldn't believe how much cheaper it was than even regular Goodwill! I have a lot of projects waiting in my garage! lol

Infarrantly Creative says:

I am a refinishing junkie also. I love that buffet. I can't believe you got it for $15! Jealousy..I tell ya.

Love them! Do you actually roll/paintbrush the paint on, or is it spray paint? Also, any chance I can get you to tell me the details on how you did the buffet? I want to copy that white/antique look on a desk I got.

I just found your blog and I love it! These furniture make-overs are absolutely stunning!

michellejohnnie says:

I love all your makeovers. I just bought my first furniture "finds" today at a garage sale and am excited to refinish some chairs. you just inspired me more!!!

I found you from your guest blogging deal. Thank you SO much for taking the time to really explain things. It was perfect. I have a bunch of stuff waiting for me to re-do in the garage. This is just what I was looking for!

BlueCastle says:

I can't believe you painted your piano! I feel as if I've found a kindred-spirit. :) I so want to paint mine, but my hubby just looks at me like I'm daft. I love how you did yours and it looks stunning!

I LOVE all of these! I found you on "Crap I've Made" from her painted piano post. I have a hutch sitting in my garage waiting for me to beautify it… but I can't decide on the color and I keep procrastinating because I don't want to ruin it! But this has definitely given me some inspiration, so thank you!

Wes and Dani says:

Aww….all your make-overs totally ROCK!!!!!!

I especially love the white buffet! GORGE! (That's short for gorgeous ;)….I guess I watch too much Kath & Kim).

ANYWAY, I am so in love with your blog and check it every day!

Dani
    craftrookie.blogspot.com

Wes and Dani says:

PS Where do you find all of your cool furniture pieces? I always look at the DI…(or the 'Big D') as I lovingly refer to it…but I NEVER find crap that awesome! (Okay, once I found a sweet dresser, but thats all!)

Lindsey @ Better After says:

Hey there! I just found your blog! I LOVE your before & afters, I would love to feature you sometime on my blog. C'mon over and check it out and let me know what you think! :)

Kate @ The Gaines Gang says:

Girl, we could be such good friends! I too love the hunt and finding the well made stuff and revamping it into something fabulous.

Love all your great re-dos!

Thanks for sharing!

holy. cow. you have talent, girl. and i WANT that buffet! :)

i'm bookmarking for sure…

Katherine @ Grass Stains says:

I am continually amazed at how paint can transform a piece of furniture! I need you to come to my house to get started on SEVERAL things!

All of your furniture makeovers are great!! I love taking a piece of furniture that I don't care for and turning it into something I love with just a little bit of paint and some new hardware!!

Wow! You've been busy! They all look great, but the buffet is my favorite!
    pk @ Room Remix

Ashley @ AshleysBusy says:

Wow! That piano! Fabulous!

great job on your projects! seeing these motivate me to get going on all mine!

I love this collection of before and afters. You're right: you don't have to spend a lot of $$ to get million-dollar results! Great job on everything–you should be really proud.

Mod Podge Amy says:

Love it Becca! You have talent, girl :D

Love your tips! And all your projects of course…

Anna Lindsey Sailer O'Reilly says:

I love your white server/dresser. What kind of paint did you use? I have a dresser very similar but I don't know how I'm supposed to paint it. Like spray paint v. brushing, etc.

Anna
    All Things Creative

my husband's grandma has been wanting to give me her buffet but I have not brought it home because it looks so outdated please share a tutorial for yours I love what you did with it and it looks like something you'd find at Pier1

Amber Lynae says:

That buffet is gorgeous. You have some really amazing piece because your your hard work.

Beautiful transformations. LOVE the buffet!

Mrs. DeVore says:

I LOVE that buffet! It is GORGEOUS!!

Becolorful says:

love the red piano. So unexpected and fun.

Miss Mustard Seed says:

Those are some great before & afters! I love the white buffet/dresser piece. It went from dated and heavy to very chic and timeless. Great work on all of these!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

Great work on all of those projects. I really like the dresser you cut apart to make that darling storage unit!

Thanks again for linking up to Make it Yours day at My Backyard Eden!

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

How did u do the detail work on the buffet? I have a dresser i wanna do white with the darker in the details. How do I do it? I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips.

Darn.
    I have an old upright in my barn. Probably from the early 1900s. It’s complete with needlepoint stools.
    I’d love to get rid of it.
    Anyone in the Washington, DC area interested! :)

I love the buffet that you redid to put in your dining room! I know I’m a little late here, but do you remember the paint color that you used? That is EXACTLY the look I want for my bedroom furniture.

Thank you!

1. [...] Bold Red French Hutch by Brooke @ The Crafting Chicks Love the detail in this buffet by Becca @ Blue Cricket Design This one is a little wild, but I love it! Found it over @ Design Sponge I love how Cassie from [...]